bury st edmunds river fishing?

bettsybetts

Shippea Hill is more like Ely?

Bury's got the R.Lark running through it but they've choked the life out of it with a horrible concrete system.

Outside of the town it's quite a nice little river. Most of it is under the control of an enthusiastic small river trout club, can't remember the name of it?

Lark Preservation Society? Think I might of just plucked that from thin air.

You might be able to fish it around West Stow country park but not sure. I did about 20 years ago but can't remember how or why.

Bury's a bit outside of my range.

I'd say you're 15+ odd mile in any direction from more 'normal' or more easily accessible river fishing.

You've got the Suffolk Stour to your South. Which I know absolutely nothing about.

The Cam and Cambridge to the West, again a blank for me. The Fens to the NW.

The Little Ouse round Santon Downham which is a lovely little bit of river if sparsely populated.

The you're round to the Waveney to the NE which is full of Chub half a dozen miles the otherside of Diss.

Other than that you're left with rivers like The Gipping from say Needham Market to Ipswich. I know absolutely nothing about that river either or the costal rivers further to the South.

You'd need some very local advice for anything closer I reckon..

Edit: quick Google came up with this site which could be handy...

http://www.disabled-angler.co.uk/River%20Lark%20Barton%20Mills.htm

Edited by dant

Dant, as always, is a mine of info but if you want more local info post a bit more about what you want to fish for and how far you want to travel.

The problem with Bury St Edmunds is its nice and central but nothing on your doorstep so travel you will have to. What fishing you like decides which direction.

John

Awesome thanks, its mainly pike and perch I was aiming for.

Well for a quick reply I would say head for the fens. A little further than Shipea hill and you get to Littleport and ten mile bank (ely ouse).

Turn left or right at roundabout and you have miles of big river wild fishing for your chosen species with the odd zander thrown in. Turning left you are on Littleport angling water until the next bridge and it becomes ely beet club. This goes to Ely.

Turning right you are no LAA waters until river leaves road. Continue a couple of miles and turn left to welney. Cross river and at junction again you can go left or right. Left gives you KLAA waters for a mile or so and then you are back on LAA waters but opposite bank and a bit better parking.

Turning right at junction puts you on one of my favourite bits. Its KLAA all the way to Denver sluice. Its a quiet road with lots of good parking.

Failing that when you get to littleport roundabout turn right. Continue for about 5 miles and you cross forst the wissey and then the cut off channel. The cut off channel is all KLAA but has big predators.

All of the fens waters are dayticket on the bank. Just turn up and fish and wait till they come along.

For more info look at websites. klaa.co.uk. They have loads more predator bits aswell.

Laa also have a website just google it.

Don't know much about the Waveney so cant help you much there.

The other direction gets you to Sudbury. The stour can be a good river for predators. I have had some cracking perch and good pike days. It has many more features than the fens with lots of bends shallows deeper area's and weirpolls. Its nature changes with the amount of rain.

The Sudbury club control the deeper area's around the town and for a few miles either way. Theses are the best area's to fish for pike.

Daytickets or club books availeable from Sudbury angling, north st Sudbury.

I can be far more specific about venues if you cannot find what you need but will obviously not go into detail about fish and swims etc.

Hope this helps

John