Shakespeare XK4001 Multiplier

jabba147

I have recently bought a Shakespeare XK4000 multiplier with matching rod , and am plaqued with constant overuns and snap offs.I have been using multipliers for the past 35 years , so I thought I had mastered the art of casting with them, but this one seems to be getting the better of me.

Has anyone else got one ,or has anyone any advice on what I might be doing wrong. :mad:

Don't have one but you may not be doing anything wrong. I bought a pair of their Tidewater level wind reels and never could get comfortable with them. Gave them away.

There must be folks that do OK with them but I'm not one. There may be weights and lines that work well but braid and 4-5 oz obviously isn't it.

The specs on the XK4000 sound good but if you adjust and try and it still won't do for you, either the reel is bad or you and that design just don't get on well together.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

jabba147:

I have recently bought a Shakespeare XK4000 multiplier with matching rod , and am plaqued with constant overuns and snap offs.I have been using multipliers for the past 35 years , so I thought I had mastered the art of casting with them, but this one seems to be getting the better of me.

Has anyone else got one ,or has anyone any advice on what I might be doing wrong. :mad:

Although I don't have one of these reels, they have been around for a while and I've not heard anything bad about them, until now. Obviously as you've been using multipliers for quite a while its not you, unless you've "modified"it in some way. I suggest you ask a mate to try it, change the brand or breaking strain of line, or ask the shop you bought it from to have a look at it in case the levelwind is catching or there aren't any brake blocks in it, it does happen occasionally. Apart from that I don't know but I hope you get it sorted soon.

Thanks Norm B I'm going to try another brand of line tomorrow .At the moment I've got Berkley Iron Silk on the reel , which I think may be the problem .The line itself, I have found to be excellent for casting on my other reels, but it is a little stiff, so I think I might try a more supple line .I'll keep you posted