new computer made to measure

nursejudy

is it worth having a new computer built,keeping your keyboard and monitor.

if so what should specifications should i be asking for

hope this makes sense.

My son-in-law is recommending people who did this for him,(he works in computing )so I thought i would check it out with my knowledgble friends/advisors.

thanks as usual

ps

how much would you expect it to cost.

judy

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

It doesn't usually cost any less. The main advantage is you can mix and match components exactly as you wish. However the better PC companies like Mesh and Evesham also allow you to do this, and even sell you a PC only without a monitor and keyboard, etc.

See here.

As to what spec you need and the cost, it's best to come at it from a different angle. Tell us everything you want to use the new PC for and we can suggest what spec and then the price falls out from there.

Do you want to play top of the range games and edit high quality audio and video, or do you just want the Internet and a word processing. For most people it's in between. Consider any future plans too.

i've found it does cost less, if you comapre identical machines, most of the readymades in pc world etc arent that highly specced, and a custom will inevitably be a better bet.

what do you want to use it for? give us the specifics and someone will tell you what bits to go for.

Ive been building and upgrading for several years, now, and the worst thing I have to say about shop bought packages is that

1, they often use cheap motherboards, with little room for future upgrades,

2, they often use clearance line cards in the machines that they build.

Although it really isnt much cheaper now to custom build, It is still the path I would recomend. Particularly if you have a specific use in mind.

I also find Custom Builds cheaper, and have been doing it myself for years - but if you are getting someone to do it for you, one thing to watch is what kind of warrenty comes with it.

If people ask me to recommend a computer, I usually suggest a Dell, as they have fell in price so much, are very customable when ordering and upgradable afterwards - and Dell give pretty good customer support if you have a problem with the machine. (I use Dell's at work)

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

I just got back from a wedding over in Liverpool and the stepfather of the groom is a bit of a music download king! He decided to get broadband and so neede to upgrade his old cyrix400 PC. He went to one of the computer fairs which seem to aboumd and got himself a 2.4 Intel chip, fan, M/board, 256 of ram, (the board has got a 64Meg graphics accelerator onboard) and all the associated bells and whistles. The cost was £120!!! For that sort of money I reckon an upgrade HAS to be worth it!! Never mind you Mesh and Dell!! All very good I know from experience! But £120 for that lot?? Got to be the cheapest upgrade I've ever seen!!

Chris

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Custom builds are the best way to go, i do a fiar few of builds for peeps and can say that it is the best way to go :)

What i do is sit and chat about what they plan to use it for in the main, but leave room for anything the plan to do in the future.Then i go through a few rigs that will suit their needs and let them choose what they would like :) one thing i always do is advise them to get something that can be esily upgraded at a later date just to ensure that it will stay upto date.

So my advice would be to go the custom route as you then have control over what you want with the option of a upgrade at a later date :)

I should have qualified my statement. What I meant was :

"It doesn't usually cost any less if you are paying some-one else to build it." As Gillies pointed out, you need to watch your warranty and also if the person or company doing it is likely to remain trading.

Mesh, which I posted a link to, are recognised as making very good PC's with quality components. Because they offer very flexible configuration, they are nearly offering a custom build service, although you don't get to select the make of most components.

[ 25. January 2004, 06:45 PM: Message edited by: Lid ]

ive seen some good spec ones in newspapers cheaper than you can build ,they dont include a monitor which keeps the price down if your keeping your old one (hopefully that can run the refresh rates of modern pc,s) then you will be ok :)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson