new computer made to measure

nursejudy

Chris Goddard:

I just got back from a wedding over in Liverpool and the stepfather of the groom is a bit of a music download king! He decided to get broadband and so neede to upgrade his old cyrix400 PC. He went to one of the computer fairs which seem to aboumd and got himself a 2.4 Intel chip, fan, M/board, 256 of ram, (the board has got a 64Meg graphics accelerator onboard) and all the associated bells and whistles. The cost was £120!!! For that sort of money I reckon an upgrade HAS to be worth it!! Never mind you Mesh and Dell!! All very good I know from experience! But £120 for that lot?? Got to be the cheapest upgrade I've ever seen!!

Chris

Did he get a new case as well? If not he will probably need to upgrade his power supply.

Still that will only add another £25.

The great thing about self builds is you don't get all that advertising cr@p when you start up. Is there anyway of getting shot of the Dell and Mesh and PCWorld logos etc. etc. etc.

Colin

HIya, My first pc was a Branded name one from Curry's and it wasn't possible to upgrade it as the case was too small, so my mate built one for me, its a 2.6ghz ,80gb, top flight graphic card etc etc, the total cost was £450. AND its upgradeable as he built it in a large case with plenty of room. I would advise a made to measure as well.

Good Luck whatever you do. :D

Norrie

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Have a look at the 'bare bones' systems here:

http://www.panrix.com

I think they use those ASUS motherboards that some people rave about.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

nursejudy:

My son-in-law is recommending people who did this for him,(he works in computing )

judy

I look at this sort of computor question from a different angle than most people

How close is your son-in-law to you?

How well does he know the guy that his upgrade?

I ask these 2 questions so that you will know if you are going to be treated as a client or as a friend/relative and can expect the sort of back up that comes from friends and relatives and that they would not let you be ripped off.

An ex colegue of mine but still a friend does all my computer stuff and saw that I got good value for my money as well as the back up that only he could provide or an expensive sonsultant. :(

Is it possible to buy a computer through your work. What happens here is that if you want to buy one then the employer takes the costs out of your overtime so you don't pay tax on that part of your wages and the employer claims the vat back. Could be worth looking into.

Hope it fits when you get it (made to measure) :D

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Thanks for advice Alan,son-in-law is quite close,he has advised other family members on the computer build,he usually sorts any problems out,but since i have been on An with advice from you wonderful guys i'm needing him less and less,He gets quite surprised when i say i'm going to do something (usually something newt has advised).

never had anything made to measure before!

the work idea you must be joking.we have to share 1 computer between 10 of us,and who gets overtime!!!! we are shortly to lose the time and 1/4 we get for w/ends

judith

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

nursejudy:

overtime!!!! we are shortly to lose the time and 1/4 we get for w/ends

judith

Learn Dutch and move to Holland, double time + day off or join the private sector

I would check on the LAW, that can't be rite losing weekend rates of pay :mad: You can only carry dedication to work so far, your employers are seriously taking the pee pee. :(

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Alan

could never work in the private sector!!!

We are waiting for October and Agenda for Change to be implmented the governments plan to make our pay and conditions "right"

Take extra care

judith

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

We are expected to work our night off(time and a half with no shift allowance) for an hourly rate of less than our normal(all in) rate. ie no holiday pay adjustment.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net