Home made stove.

garylee

I had one of those as well :) used it for years until it rusted away.

Den

I had a shop bought version of this to many years ago. It ran on Meths. I never found it to be very effective and soon was thrown to the back of the shed in favour of a Primus stove.

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Ok here’s my effort, best you get drinking/building quick.

Ambient temp in my kitchen 20 degrees C, one pint of cold tap water in the kettle. Three minutes and forty seven seconds later enough boiling water for three cups of tea.

Beat that with your beer can burner (if you do win or if anyone else rises to the challenge I might invoke rule 26b).

DSCN1107_zps22e61445.jpg

DSCN1108_zps4be5cacb.jpg

I have asked her at home for a Jet boil flash for Christmas. 2 cups of water boiled in two minutes.

Think it will be ideal for fishing/cycling/walking that I do.

Have a coleman sportster 533 which is ok for the boot of the car or session fishing but to bulky for walking/cycling and I just never feel safe with a can of petrol in my pack + you never know when the generator will pack in.

Also used hexamine cookers and spirt cookers in the past - hexamine ok for camp style heating of tins of food but once lit you cant turn a fuel block off - the fumes also awfull, spirit burners, did the job ok but again I never felt safe with a fuel that has to be poured then lit and found it very hard to use spirit burners when windy.

Jetboil Flash Camping Cooking System

The Jetboil Flash Camping Cooking System provides a whole new dimension to your outdoor pursuits.

Like all of Jetboil’s new and innovative cooking systems, Flash is an all-in-one design, putting together the burner and cooking vessel in one light, small and compact unit.

Everything you need for your cooking needs is stored within and inside the 1-litre cooking cup ideal for those who like to travel lightly. The system lights up with just a simple click of a button and within 2 minutes provides two mugs of boiling water for cocoa, coffee, tea, instant soup or a gourmet freeze-dried meal. This water can be used for flasks to carry around on outdoor adventures.

The well designed new burner safely holds the igniter, protecting it from bumps along the road whilst on the move.

The Jetboil Flash Camping Cooking System is made to to be one of the safest outdoor cooking products on the market and suitably delivers on such a target. The cooking cup grips onto the burner, eliminating the risk of accidental spills, and the fuel canister tripod ensures firm stability during use.

The insulating cozy has functionality which makes the heat indicator change colour. A colour change is the sign that contents are hot.

Features
  • 1.0 L FluxRing cooking cup with insulating cozy, featuring Flash colour-change heat indicator
  • Adjustable stainless steel burner with push-button 'through-cup' igniter
  • Drink-through lid and insulating bottom cover/measuring cup
  • Tripod base for added stability
  • Weight (without stabilizer): 14 oz (397 g)
  • Volume: 32 oz (1 L)
  • Boil time: 16 oz (1/2 L) = 2 minutes
  • Water boiled: 12 L per 100 g Jetpower canister
  • Dimensions: 4.1 x 7.1 inches (104 x 180 mm)

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

This is the type of stove I use (mines a much cheaper brand from go outdoors- £10 ).

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/msr-pocket-rocket-stove-p206776

If I go fishing I want small, compact, quick clean and easy, I couldn't be doin with all the messing about people seem to do...i'd rather be catching fish !

To be honest i've reverted back to a flask :).

Edited by Tigger

I had a simple meths stove when I was a kid.

Cooked a lot of bangers and beans whilst fishing.

Now it's a Kelly kettle for tea, coffee, soup and pot noodles,

http://www.kellykettle.com/

Free fuel!

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I only ever take a stove if I'm session fishing, bivvying up for a few days. A flask of hot tea is plenty for me if just fishing for the day, and only then if it's winter.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Seems to me that the Kelly kettle should be quite efficient, and that a lot of the heat from a gas stove just goes round the kettle. Are there any gas powered kettles which heat a water jacket in the same way as a Kelly kettle?

Talking of meths, does anyone remember the cocoa tin warmers we used to make?

Fill a cocoa tin with fine sand, pour in meths, and light, they would stay alight for ages. If you were fishing static from under your umbrella, and kept them out of the wind, they used to get pretty warm, not enough to cook on, but ok to warm your hands.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John