Spam e-mail hanging Outlook Express

Jim Murray

Experiencing a problem whereby Outlook Express will hang when receiving mail, e.g. "receiving message 5 of 20" and then stops. My anti-spam s/w (mailwasher) also hangs.

The only way out is to use webmail(www.mail2web.com) to delete unwanted messages then everything works fine; today I spent an hour narrowing it down to one particular mail, promoting a website, www.findingtherightmanorwoman.com which appears to be a spam-trap.

Wondering if there's any way out, I get a lot of spam and up to now mailwasher(thanks Newt) was handling it perfectly.

Jim.

Mmmm Ijust had that one and Mailwasher flagged it ok and I deleted it straight from Mailwasher?? So why May I ask are you having a problem? Surely you deleted it in Mailwasher and it was then deleted at the server so could not be downloaded to O/E??! Or am I missing something.

chris

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Chris - Mailwasher seems to hang at the same point as OE, I'm assuming just as it's checking the offending message, so don't think you can delete it. Did your Mailwasher "check mail" process run to completion before you deleted the mail? If so then we have 2 different problems.

Jim.

Been getting something similar with Tiscali for weeks, now.

Checks for mail, starts receiving mail, gives an error after a random number of messages are collected.

Error is usually " server timed out due to inactivity" or similar.

Then have to go to Tiscali homepage to collect/delete the rest of my spam.

dont know the answer to the problem, sorry.

Bloody irritating though !

Johnny Boy:

Been getting something similar with Tiscali for weeks, now.

Same applies to me.

I've got about 800 messages piled up at Lineone(Tiscali). I'm thinking about deleting the account from Outlook Express. That's where most of my virus-carrying messages come from anyway!

Serves them right for selling lists of our Email addreses!

[ 13. March 2004, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: Jim Roper ]

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

I have Mailwasher and have had no problems.

I,ve just checked my Blacklist and the "www.findtherightmanwoman." address, is on the Blacklist.

You could go here and see if they have the answer, they have a complete section for Mailwasher;

http://www.computercops.biz/forums.html

[ 13. March 2004, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: Cranfield ]

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Sorry Jim, been out. But yes I am getting all mail in and done before deleting, so yes it must be something else! Try messaging the help dept. I have done so a couple of times and they are pretty quick at answering and good at finding/fixing problems!!

Chris

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))