Ground bait

Ryanrecon

I use combinations of the following groundbaits depending on the species I am after and how I want it to behave in the water.

http://www.prebait.com/van_den_eynde_groundbait.php

I particularly like Superfeed or Supercup mixed 50/50 with Secret; especially when there are Bream Tench, Crucians and Carp about. I've won quite a few matches using either of these combinations.

But you need to find what groundbait suits your fishing and the species you are after, there are plenty to choose and experiment with.

At this time of year when frosts are about I would use groundbait very sparingly; if at all; and rely more on using very small quantities of loosefeed.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Thanks guys I know the importants of tackal equipment and peg selection but bait and ground baits have been a problem for me but all the advice from here has given me confidence to get the balance right

Keith , I will take heed with the ground bait in this cold weather

It depends what you want the groundbait to do. Do you want it just as an attractor, or a feed, or both?

My groundbaits are all based on brown and/or white crumb, mixed to get the consistency I want. Depending on species, and conditions I might add a colourant and/or attractor I feel will suit, ie, crushed roasted hemp, cheese sauce granules, vanilla, finely chopped worm, molehill soil, etc. I rarely buy a 'named' groundbait, and if I do, it's just to add a bit 'extra' to the crumb.

As Keith, (Boldbear), says, at this time of year it's best to use it sparingly, although when float fishing for roach, I often use a very fine one to get a cloud effect in the swim. This often produces bites as soon as it's introduced. But only use small amounts at regular intervals, with just 2 or 3 maggots or casters in each ball.

Using crumb as a base, I can make a mix to suit just about any situation, then refine it to suit what you think is needed.

John.

• Like 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Ryan,

http://carpassociation.com/carpbaitrecipies.htm

Here are a few. We, in the US, call these baits "carp bait" like you would call them "ground baits".

Phone

Edit: There are gobs and gobs more. How many do you want? All my personal favorites contain fishmeal.

Edited by Phone

For bream I only use the Old Ghost Bream ground bait with about half a tin of sweet corn in it and corn on the hook. Although it is mainly a spring/summer mix.

Oh, and molasses additive as well.

Jack.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and i'm not sure about the universe". (Albert Einstein)

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head, thats assault, not leadership". (Dwight D. Eisenhower)

"Some people claim that marriage interferes with romance. Theres no doubt about it. Anytime you have a romance, your wife is bound to interfere". (Groucho marx)