Bright object to the left of the rising moon

Ken L

No but if you give me right ascension, declination, hour angle date, time and where you observed it from I'll look it up for you ;)

I will stick to typing "holst" into iTunes!

Yes i will be happy with anything anyone says ,if i believe it is another matter .

Space is irrelevant to me the only impact it could be in my life is if a bit of rock flying about in it hits me when i am doing stuff that really effects my life.

You stick to carl sagan i'm perfectly happy to let your imagination run riot

Trouble with you cory is your quick to shout when you believe your right but extremely quiet when your caught out spouting nonsense ,on the matter of the cloth i will concede ,well perhaps it could be a very big cloth , i will let you prove the cloth does not exist.i ofcourse dont have to because i dont give a crap what you believe

If someone proves to me I've spouted nonsense I'm the first to admit it. I've done so many times in the past.

Thing with you chesters is that you don't understand where the burden of prrrof lies. You are the one making the assertion that there is a big cloth, I don't have to prove you wrong.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Yes cory ...,i cant be arsed to show you to the contrary and its not just me

As for the cloth i dont have to prove anything i am happy with the cloth either way ,you said my answer is wrong so you prove wrong it as it seems to annoy you ,trouble is how can you do so ? Posting a youtube vid with another persons opinion the same as yours as proof ,no mate build a space ship fly out to hthe next galaxy then come back and state hand on heart the cloth isnt there ...... But wait it maybe at the cleaners just as you get to where is ....bugger

I tell you what ,you build the space ship and i will come with you ,if we can find the cleaners (if the cloth is there) and its not there you can spit in my face and i will concede theres a possibility your correct

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Ken

Last night, a very bright object was visible to the left (north) of the rising moon. I'm assuming it was Jupiter but if so. it was much brighter than I've ever seen it.

Any other suggestions?

yes a stargazy app on my smartphone shows jupiter just a bit behind to the right, and just a bit further a star or wotnot called pollux

Klaus

and just a bit further a star or wotnot called pollux

Go and wash your mouth out with soap?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Jupiter it is and it's very bright again tonight.

Venus is very easy to spot at present just as the light starts to go. In the South Eastern sky but soon dropping below the horizon. Jupiter was visible to the North East a bit later in the evening.

That should be South Western sky surely ??

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Jupiter it is and it's very bright again tonight.

That should be South Western sky surely ??

No North East. The bright object you can see SW is Altair. Right now Jupiter is below the horizon NNE. Venus has dropped below the SSW horizon at present. Neptune and Uranus are between East and South at present although I'd guess they aren't visible to the naked eye.

All these positions can vary it all depends on what time you look out/up.

There's a really good download to see what's up there, called Stellarium.

iPad and Android have apps called Night Sky. All are full of info for budding stargazers.