overheating computer

Peter

We have just done a total rebuild on one of our home computers and it now consistantly overheats and 'crashes'

componants are

motherboard - Gigabyte GA-7n400vl with onboard sound and graphics.

processor is athlon XP2600 333 bought as a kit with matching heatsink and fan.

fitted with 512 memory stick and radio network card.

case has space for one fan (fitted) + PSU fan.

temperature runs up to 60 degrees Celsius. will sit there for hours on standby but as soon as you try to use it for any purpose it crashes and resets.

there is a good contact between the processor and the heatsink and I have added more thermal grease with no improvement.

Any suggestions please other than throwing the whole thing in a skip and forgetting I ever started it. :(

Steam rules

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the processor realy a 2600? You could of been sold a slower cpu and its being over clocked to run as a 2600. If its been sold as a kit you shouldn't have to start messing around fitting extra fans

I'm back is fishing like riding a bike? you never forget how?

The heatsinks that come with the athlon processors are terrible.

I would suggest upgrading that for starters.

quote:

You could try an extra fan or two or just leave the side panel off the machine

Fans are the way to go, if possible have the intakes at the bottom of the case to suck cooler air in and the exhaust fans at the top to blow warm air out.

Leaving the sides off the case can have the opposite effect to what you`re trying to achieve. It may seem like theres more surface air to circulate, but in reality there isn`t as you`re removing the actual space in which the air is flowing.

You could look at it this way.

If you blow through a straw you have a higher air pressure because of the small space the air can flow, therefore the air is flowing quicker and having less time to heat up before exiting the case.

Now remove the straw and just blow, slower and more widespread movement in the air this time and more chance the air will heat up than using the faster moving air.

The same goes for inside a computer case, you need the air flowing properly inside for efficient cooling to take place

[ 24. March 2004, 02:13 PM: Message edited by: simonford ]

Is the fan on the heat-sink working?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

How much thermal paste did you apply to the processor ?

You really only need enough to cover the small die in the middle of the chip. Too much can spill over the die, and act like a blanket , keeping heat in the chip.

Also, is the heatsink on the right way round ? It could be wrongly seated on the chip socket, and not actually sitting on the die at all. It should have a cut away underneath it , so it can fit on the chip, and not touch the socket at all.

Im not trying to treat you like a fool, but these are some of the most common mistakes people make when assembling CPU's and heatsinks these days .

:D

Processor is definitely an Athlon 2600+

Info on the pack says should only by run with the provided heatsink. Came from Novatech who are a reputable supplier so I am happy that it is a genuine part. Case is about 5 years old and only has space for one case fan. Unfortunately the case is a one piece type so to leave it off entirely could be hazardous to the welfare of my two year old grandson. (mind you, he is hazardous to the health of computers) Has blown up the memory on one by constantly switching it on and off.

Johnny re thermal paste, The syringe of thermal paste had a mask with it to fit over the processor then a squeegee to remove the excess paste. I am happy that the heat sink is on the correct way round. I think I will have to try a better heat sink. The fan on this one is working. runs so fast it is a blur you can only se it when you switch off and can see it slow down. I think I am going to have to get another case so I can add more fans and replace the heatsink for a copper one.

Thanks for the advice

Peter

Steam rules

One other thing of note concerning the Athlon processor. It takes a lot of power, so check on your power supply unit . The "experts" in a lot of the "tech" forums reckon you need one that supplies at least 300 watts. Low power can cause overheating, and random re-boots. Bigger is supposedly better with the Athlon, especially if you have a number of drives in the case.

Best of luck with it!

This might sound daft, but how did you set up the cpu in the bios? the reason i'm asking is the fact this can be a major prob with peeps setting them up wrong and hence the heat up probs, i have an xp barton 2500, which is overclocked and running at nr xp barton 3200 speeds and my idle temp is only 42 and when pushed reaches a max temp of 48,

heres a list of what they should be running at =

Athlon XP 3200+ 2.20GHz 200MHz 11x Barton (L2 512KB)

Athlon XP 3000+ 2.10GHz 200MHz 10.5x Barton (L2 512KB)

Athlon XP 3000+ 2.16GHz 166MHz 13x Barton (L2 512KB)

Athlon XP 2800+ 2.08GHz 166MHz 12.5x Barton (L2 512KB)

Athlon XP 2800+ 2.25GHz 333MHz 13.5x 0.13 Thoroughbred B

Athlon XP 2700+ 2.17GHz 333MHz 13x 0.13 Thoroughbred B

Athlon XP 2600+ 1.91GHz 166MHz 11.5x Barton (L2 512KB)

Athlon XP 2600+ 2.083GHz 166MHz 12.5x Thoroughbred B

Athlon XP 2600+ 2.133GHz 133MHz 16x Thoroughbred B

Athlon XP 2400+ 2.GHz 266MHz 15x 0.13 Thoroughbred B

Athlon XP 2500+ 1.83GHz 166MHz 11x Barton (L2 512KB)

Athlon XP 2200+ 1.8GHz 266MHz 13.5x 0.13 Thoroughbred A

Athlon XP 2100+ 1.73GHz 266MHz 13x 0.18 Palomino

Athlon XP 2000+ 1.67GHz 266MHz 0.18 Palomino

Athlon XP 1900+ 1.6GHz 266MHz 0.18 Palomino

Athlon XP 1800+ 1.53GHz 266MHz 0.18 Palomino

Athlon XP 1700+ 1.47GHz 266MHz 0.18 Palomino

Athlon XP 1600+ 1.4GHz 266MHz 0.18 Palomino

Athlon XP 1500+ 1.33GHz 266MHz 0.18 Palomino

if you need any help further LMK

[ 24. March 2004, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: Jem ]