Deab-bait Sand Eel presentation for Bass?

JeffB

Hello again all,

Keen Bass angler here again :P

I have put together what I consider to be a fairly good list of bait for the weekends Bass mission.

My question is as to how good dead-bait Sand Eels are? OK, I know they are a killer bait when fished live, but do they still have a better than average appeal when fished dead?

Presentation wise, I am thinking of presenting them on a long snood keeping it a little off the bottom to drift enticingly in the tidal current, is that a good idea, if not what do you recommend?

Cheers as always,

Jeff

[ 16. June 2005, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: JeffB ]

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Following up from this I have since read that deadbait Sand Eel is only good for clear water fishing as they don't give off much scent to attrach Bass that will predominently be hunting by smell in the murky Southend waters, is this fairly right???

Guest stevie cop

Personally, I've never caught a bass on dead sandeel. Even when I've been catching plenty on ragworm, whenever I've tried dead sandeel, I haven't had a touch.

I can't get any Rag for the weekend but plenty of Lug, so I'll have to put my faith in them and good old Mackerel...

Saying that I will be going all out to get some live Pout or joey-macks so we'll see what happens...

Oh, and that's me pretty much convinced that I should knock the Sand Eel idea on the head, cheers for the help!

my daughter caught the familys first bass on a floated frozen ammo sandeel in rough murky conditions last year

Andrew

member of Save our Sharks

SOS

SACN member

it's the taking part that counts!

@==---¬--¬--¬------<(')))>< angling classics

They are beautiful and fight like beasts, biggest ever for me is 5lb 8oz caught from Mike Rawles King Fisher out of Bradwell. i put her back but kept another smaller fish...

Although I've never caught a bass on frozen sandeel, I have had plenty of catches using sandeel in murky water mostly whiting & a few doggies.

I caught my 1st ever bass on a lugworm & squid cocktail in decidedly murky conditions.

I've even caught table sized whiting & pollack float fishing from Weymouth stone pier using half a frozen sandeel at night.

They are my all round bait of choice without doubt.

Presentation-wise I generally opt for snipping off the head & tail, threading the 1st hook thru the tail end until well over the eye of the hook, then securing with the second hook at the end of the tail using a pennel rig.

I also use a whole sandeel & going in thru the mouth & out the body with the second hook secured through the head.

This I use on a running ledger trace - works for me ...

[ 17. June 2005, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: FearTheHands ]

FearTheHands.gif

Knowing my luck if I were a buddhist I'd come back as myself ...