Computer fair crap

:mad: On march 28th I went to the local computer fair held at Blackpool and I paid £350.00 for a new pc tower. Before buying the pc I saw the computer connected to a monitor and all seemed good and in perfect working order.60gig hard drive.dvd rom + dvd-rw -ddr333 systems board & 128 memmory. I was assured this was a very good new computer. My wife paid for this with a cheque / master card guarantee. The computer was placed into a box and we were told receipt and warranty was in the box. Only when we arrived home and unpacked the tower we noticed.yep.No receipt and No warrenty enclosed. Not even a contact phone No for this trader. The computer seemed to work fine until I started to load software i.e. Office 2000/nero ECT. Within hours the computer blue screened and would not start up again. I stated to the trader I was buying a new computer for home and work I was assured this was the computer I needed. As we was given no contact details and the next computer fair was in 2 weeks I asked the local pc repair shop to look at the tower and try to solve the problem. WOW did I get a shock. The memory with this tower was duff; the hard drive is a second hand one. The motherboard isn’t worth a carrot and not compatible with this pc and the processor is out of a laptop…. The only new thing was the plastic box….

I went to the next computer fair at Fleetwood and I saw the trader who sold me the pc.he is adament the computer was in good working order and because another company has looked into this pc the warrenty is no longer valid. I have contacted the local fair trading standards and even they said it will be hard to get my £350.00 back but the guy trading as price right computers is being investigated for selling second hand parts as new . I have had work done on the pc at an additional price of £180.00. I.e. new memory /mother board. This pc now stands me at £530.00 just for the tower. I work hard for my living and the monie we saved for this computer took us a long time to save. Just to be ripped off it makes me sick. Any-one using computer fairs please be very careful.

Maybe cheep but also maybe nasty

:confused: :confused:

[ 06. May 2004, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: Blackpool ]

Vince

Rolling sausages gather no gravy

http://www.blackpoolfishingtrips.co.uk

Sorry to hear about this. You must be gutted!

Also complain to the organisers of the fair. It should result in him being banned. If it doesn't tell the fair that you'll never be back and will advise others not to attend.

I don't think I'd ever pay for a computer by cheque. I'd always use a credit card. If the transaction is for over £100 you can then also claim off the credit card company.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Sorry to hear about your problems.

I use the computer fairs quite a bit and have bought numerous items from them.

I`ve got 3 250GB SATA HDD`s from them before without probs, but do be careful as theres many dodgy characters about

Hi Vince,

It Seems like you were thoroughly ripped off. Just the sort of mistake that I might make so I truly sympathise.

My son and I often go to the Ashburton fair in Croydon (not your neck of the woods I know)and have bought lots of stuff over the years. We've only had one bad experience when the guy who sold my son a defective had drive left the country. On another occasion, we had a problem with a motherboard, CPU and memory package but the dealer sorted it out for us. It was a bit of a pain having to go to several fairs to get it sorted but I guess that's the price you pay for being able to buy kit at very competetive prices. At least we got ours sorted unlike yourself.

The Ashburton fair is one of many run down here in the south by British Computer Fairs and they are very well organised. They won't let anyone trade if they don't provide bona fide receipts with full contact details. The trouble is, anywhere money changes hands there will be somebody who wants their UNfair share.

[ 06. May 2004, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: Mister Toad ]

Phil Davis

We don't own this world - we've only borrowed it from our children.

This Dell UK site offers

an-dell-pc.jpg

So all things considered, not sure you were getting a bargin even if the original purchase had worked.

[ 07. May 2004, 11:46 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Like Steve say I would be VERY surprised if the Fair organisers do NOT do something about him!! Around here they are proper BOSSES!! And if he does nothing, then next time take couple of mates (Bigger the better and tell him!! you want the money back!!

I reckon if you took a "TROGG" with you your money would be back sooner than that!!

Another thing!! The cheque is ONLY guaranteed to the limit of the card!! If it's a £100 card that's it. If the card is a CREDIT CARD then you will have no comeback on the comapny at all, unless!! YOu have a gander at the FINANCIAL bit of last sunday's Sunday MAIL there was a very similar story in there it was about a time share! BUT because the authorities knew about the firm they HAD to stump up! May apply here?

But taking a "Trogg" is still your best bet and I know where Blackpool is as well myself!! Quite fancy a day at the seaside, anyone else??

Chris

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

• 4 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by Blackpool:

the guy trading as price right computers is being investigated for selling second hand parts as new

There is a shop near me that sells "cheap" gear. I bought a mouse from him a while ago which had clearly been heavily used (scratched bottom and fluff and mank on the pads). T returned it.

Worse was the Enermax 350w PSU I bought off him for £30 ... halfprice on a normal Enermax. Took it home, fitted it, stuck in the powerlead and turned it on. It promptly went bang. Despite him telling me I had fitted it incorrectly (eh? ... nothing in the PC was damaged) he gave me my money back rather than replace it with the other one on the shelf which had disappeared 5 minutes later (I checked). I believe they were 110v PSU's and not 240 ... he had probably been done himself. I know he buys from Fairs himself and would never buy from him again.

Fujitsu (who I'm currently working for) have a policy of instant replacement for any new PC that has any problems. The returned machines are then given to a company who totally refurb and test them, and you can see them for sale here (click on the 'Grade 2 PC Base Units' link). At £249 for a 2.6ghz AMD with 512mb RAM, 80gb disk, DVD & Rewriter plus fairly decent sound & graphics card and a 6 month warrenty they're almost a throw-away PC. No screen included, but many people have them anyway.

Even the more expensive ones are good value - £549 for a P4 3.2ghz with 1024mb RAM, 250gb HD, DVD ROM, DVD+RW+R, card reader & various other gubbins - I know where my next machine is coming from

If you're up for a laptop they do them as well, although I can't comment on the prices as I'm not up to date.

[ 03. June 2004, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: davidP ]

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

David!! Do you mind NOT swearing on the forums please!!

Oh yes you did!! You said F*****U!! They have to be the worst company I have ever dealt with!! I had a drive which had a three year warranty. I took it back to the shop, (I know this guy well!) Sorry Chris can't do anything for you!! Apparrently F/U knew of a problem with this drive LONG before anyone else did and they immediatley said that they were basically revoking the warranty!! All drives that were returned were NOT credited! And so wholesalers would NOT deal with them and I ended up with a new fishing weight which ultimately cost me well over £100!! I would not buy another F/U product as long as my bottom pointed down!!

Chris

PS. I'm a Yorkshiremen!! How much are those refurb pc's? ;-))]

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

I'm a contractor - I work for whoever will pay me, good or bad. I've never noticed a difference in the money when I come to spend it :D

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.