DVLA Virus?

Jim Roper

A couple of days ago, a workmate told me he had just taken 2 days to get rid of 576 viruses that he had found on his PC. Don't start on about updates!

Last night he tells me that he was in the process of ordering some clothing items online and keyed in his credit card details when up pops a page from the DVLA, Swansea.

He closed it down and tried to buy his clothing items again and up it comes again.

It wasn't a spoof site because it let him view his own driving license details. All correct!

He notified the Police, who promptly called round and took his PC away with them to try to clean it up. Apparently such things are quite common!

Anybody had similar experiences?

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't heard of anything like that before.

I wouldn't have let them take away my PC!! I hope they gave a receipt and your friend knows the serial number, etc.

Do you know what clothing site it was?

"576 viruses" were probably spyware/adware/malware rather than actual virus infections. Nasty things but different.

Sounds like he had his browser hijacked and redirected. Shame he gave up the PC. I'd enjoy seeing the specifics but too late now.

I would suggest to him that he deactivate that credit card and get a re-issue with a different number though.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I'll try to find out more tonight, if I run into him.

He's an ex CPO in the Navy and his wife is a bank manager.

Not the sort of person who wants to get caught out!

When/if he gets his PC back, tell him I strongly recommend he get some spyware blocking apps. The following are all good and all free and all find the bad stuff that AntiVirus programs don't see.

spyware blaster - install, set up, offers some ongoing protection

Spybot Search & Destroy Ver 1.3 (new version - anyone who has ver 1.2 should uninstall it and install 1.3). Update, run, and let it clean. Also immunize - it is blocking between 1700 and 1800 pieces of known spyware as of today.

Ad-aware - install, update, run.

Spywareblaster doesn't need much beyond the install. The other two should be run about once a week after the initial cleaning.

And tell him this recommendation is from another ex-cpo who went over to the dark side and became a warrant officer before retiring.

[ 27. May 2004, 10:03 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Jim, they were probably spoof policemen and they've just stolen your friend's PC :D

[ 27. May 2004, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

He's had a phone call from the 'fraud squad', but perhaps it was the police Hi-Tech unit. He will get his PC back with a new hard drive with all his personal files intact. They assured him of confidentiality, and that the new drive will probably be better/bigger than the original.

Apparently, the french clothing website(it sounded like he said 'lori dowt', but that means nothing to me) has been closed down because someone must have high-jacked it. He has dealt with them for several years with no problems. I think he was buying childrens clothes.

They told him that the Government would be compensating the website owners. Can't think why!

The police don't allways get things right though, do they?

[ 28. May 2004, 06:57 AM: Message edited by: Jim Roper ]

Jim Roper:

I'll try to find out more tonight, if I run into him.

He's an ex CPO in the Navy and his wife is a bank manager.

Not the sort of person who wants to get caught out!

Ex CPO??? Not Mick (Bloody) Pope is it!! Just sounds like him does that!! ;-)

Chris

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

i have to say, i still dont believe a word of this, how would credit card details link to license details from the DVLA?? well the obvious answer is that they wouldn't, seems like a new urban myth to me, look out for it on snopes........