DVLA Virus?

Jim Roper

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Acronym Dictionary UK has the ones you left blank. Good if you need to know more later but

RTFQ = Read the Flipping Question

STFU = Shut the Flip Up

(well, maybe not flip)

CPO is a Navy Chief Petty Officer.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I expect they are keen to get hold of almost anybody's PC to see what they can find on it.

A bit like giving almost any aged car a good going over.

They think they are bound to find something wrong, and with all the junk Email that is about, I reckon most people get conned into opening something that leaves something naughty on their machine, even if they don't know about it.

I think he will be working tonight, perhaps not, and I might hear a bit more.

If the Government will compensate the website, as the police say, then it sounds like it could be something wrong at the DVLA end, or has some cracker just exposed a loophole? They could be showing their gratefulness for it being reported. Perhaps his missus sanctioned the overdraft of the bobby concerned!!!!!!!!

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

The police can just show up and take your PC over there because you had a virus.....

Amazing...

Over here, it would take a court order and very strong evidence that the pc's owner was engaged in illegal activities, before something like that could happen...certainly, no way they would be able to take it just because the owner happend to access a spoof site...

I am really suprised he let them take his computer..no possible way that I would have done it!

the police have no power to confiscate unless they have strong suspicions, and some evidence of illegal activity. i suppose the man in question didnt put up too much of a fight. contracting a virus isn't a matter for the polics, trying to catch the instigator is, so i suppose they can find data on the infected machine that would lead to them.

I don't think it is a case of the PC being 'confiscated'.

It sounds more like jeepster said. It was probably 'offered' as evidence to assist in an enquiry, especially if they were going to sort out the problem.

It doesn't appear to be a virus as we think of them. More like a highjacked site that has been temporarily been shut down.

I'll try to find out the exact name of the site. When it comes back up, there may be some mention on it about it's lack of availability.

Under the Data Protection Act, the DVLA(and Government) would be guilty of not keeping their personal data secure, wouldn't they?

They might think that would justfy compensating any website, that had been highjacked in this way, for shutting it down for a while. They might even think it worthwhile giving someone a new hard drive under the circumstances!

[ 30. May 2004, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: Jim Roper ]

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

)Could be they have simply taken his hard drive with its contents and given him a replacement?

Den (very naive

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Nightwing, reading between the lines the said computer appears to have been offered up as opposed to "seized".

However, we have a term known as "reasonable suspicion" which will also allow an officer to arrest and seize without warrant. This of course is an objective test.

Should you "invite" an officer without "reasonable suspicion" into your home then you invite that officer to search it.

We also have an erosion to the right of silence whereupon you can't be forced to answer questions but your silence may go towards incriminating you.

As of 5th April 2004, anyone who is merely arrested will atomically have their fingerprints and DNA taken and added to a database regardless of whether they are charged with an offence, let alone convicted.

There are also provisions being introduced to allow "hearsay evidence" to be put before the courts and for previous convictions to be put before the courts also, during trial and in police interviews.