DVLA Virus?

Jim Roper

Jim we're not talking about 'visiting a murder scene' or 'holding benefits books' (I don't BTW) or catching mullet. We were talking about being visited by the Old Bill and having your PC removed (for what ever reason) Since nobody answered 'yes' to your question 'anybody had similar experiences?' that might suggest that 'such things are not quite common' Unless of course your name is Pete Townsend !

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What they said was quite common was that people get into so-called secure websites/computer systems without knowing why and without trying.

They told him that recently it happened to a nuclear establishment.

I presume that when it happens, someone has to sort it out.

[ 01. June 2004, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: Jim Roper ]

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

He tells me he has had, embarrasingly delivered by a police van, not just his old tower with a new hard drive, but a complete new Dell tower with a 120 gig hard drive, a really super graphics program and a CPU that seems to work a lot faster than his old one. He's not had a look to see what the speed of it is.

Before leaving, the chaps who delivered it insisted he try to do what he did before that brought the problem to light.

Apparrently the DVLA page popped up as he chose the payment option (Visa), before he had a chance to put in his credit card details.

Nothing untoward happens now the site has been sorted out.

He has also had a gift voucher, a miserly £10.00 worth, from La Redoute with a letter of thanks for reporting the problem.

Before taking his old tower away, they had invited(insisted) him to sign a disclaimer to say that it was not being taken against his will!

I expect there are a few police officers reading this who might be able to confirm that this would be a typical procedure.

By 'Typical procedure', I meant the signing of the disclaimer.

Weymouth happens to be in Dorset.

There is no 'Devon Constabulary', but there is a 'Devon and Cornwall Constabulary', I believe.

The 'police', I presume, were acting for the Government agency whose data was leaked. They weren't spending police money, more like saving the arse of the DVLA. Can you think of anybody else who would turn up in such a situation?

He now has a 3400 pentium instead of a 2400 something else that he had before.

Seems there might be an incentive to report things promptly!

[ 03. June 2004, 07:02 AM: Message edited by: Jim Roper ]