Chubbing

Anderoo

Had another go earlier, and the run of fish continues I'm happy to say. No real giants this time but two 5s (biggest 5.07), a 4 and a little one about a pound and a half made for regular action. I think there must be more chub there than I initially thought, now I'm fishing better I'm starting to pick them up. It's a lovely feeling to get 4 bites from this bit of water after so many days watching a motionless tip! They fought really hard today too, fantastic fun :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I don't know exactly what it is about the recent conditions but I've fished for chub 4 times on the upper Stour plus a session after grayling(!) on the Frome to get 29 chub on the Stour, all on trotted flake in short afternoon sessions just feeding a bit of liquidised bread, plus a chub, only my 3rd ever from the river, from the Frome. I think it's less your methods than the fact that the chub have been going daft for a fortnight in low clear conditions with mild weather. The roach (and grayling) on the other hand are conspicuous by their absence! Quite often had a chub first cast in a swim; no monsters with 4-6 the best, ironically from the Frome.

Agreed mark, these conditions are ideal for the chub, it's unusual this side of Xmas. I'm leaving the roach til things switch over, if they do. The slight change in the way I'm fishing has definitely had some effect though, I've fished along there in good conditions before and had nothing.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Need some rain for the roach to come back on, a good coloured flood and a lot of flow.I did get small roach the start of last week on maggots but as they were 1-2oz fish and someone fishing with me had a 4lb chub on bread I took the hint and fished for the chub since. There is something weird going on as on the upper Stour I am usually lucky to get two or three chub whereas I have had 7, 8, 10 and today's struggle for 4! Not had that many before.

Yes I was struggling with the Thames roach until I did the sensible thing and switched to chub! There's a load of rain coming in tomorrow so maybe that will have an effect. If so I think I'll go back to the roach; if not there's a new bit of river I've been meaning to try for ages that looks like some good chub might be present...

Tried a new bit of river this evening...well it was supposed to be late this afternoon but forgot headtorch for later so had to go back to get it then arrived after dark in the pouring rain walked to river bumping into cattle in the dark which was a bit spooky .

Warburtons finest had got a bit stale and didn`t want to stay on the hook for long but sat in the rain for 3 hours without a tap saw a barn owl which made up for the blank.....felt good confidence wise nothing I can put my finger on but will be back

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Thanks Wayne, nice to see you posting. They do have a habit of disappearing don't they. I thought last year's floods have moved the ones from the usual stretch but they were there all along, just being difficult...

Don't forget that open invitation to come and have a go here (when we talked at Wingham), I know it's a long trip from Essex but if you fancy it just let me know.

Tried a new bit of river this evening...well it was supposed to be late this afternoon but forgot headtorch for later so had to go back to get it then arrived after dark in the pouring rain walked to river bumping into cattle in the dark which was a bit spooky .

Warburtons finest had got a bit stale and didn`t want to stay on the hook for long but sat in the rain for 3 hours without a tap saw a barn owl which made up for the blank.....felt good confidence wise nothing I can put my finger on but will be back

Good luck with it Steve, hope you find them - sounds like an interesting bit of water, there could be anything mooching about...

Had 2 cracking chub (I assume) last night on the Kennet on Kingsmills finest - both completely did me over - I simply could not stop them and the hook pulled after about 30 secs - a #8 drennan superdupersomething which normally holds anything.

Interestingly - I seem to be getting most of my action early in the evening - within the first hour of darkness. As the evening draws on the action really tails off - so I am packing up at 9 - Anyone else finding this at the moment?