Chubbing

Anderoo

Great end to the season, Andrew! And by the long slim tail I'd guess a young fast-grower.

Was it after dark?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Good fish Andrew and well done on getting out for a last stab ,I had a go but all I caught was one Gudgeon it was a monster one though but the barbell rod remained motionless sadly

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

So from reading previous posts its better to go chub fishing at night than in the day time? or is this just threw the winter period...

i wouldnt even know where to start with chub fishing as i havnt fished the river in years, bait? set-up? even rod?

Any information would be much appreciated...

Very nice fish to finish it off there!

I'm very happy with that as the last fish of the season :) Roll on next winter...

I would be too, well done! Worth keeping the wine in the bottle for a little longer I'd say.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

It was after dark, about 8.30. The Thames chub seem to be much more catchable after dark the closer you get to the end of the season, which is handy as there's just enough light to get to the river after work and bait some swims.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

It was after dark, about 8.30. The Thames chub seem to be much more catchable after dark the closer you get to the end of the season, which is handy as there's just enough light to get to the river after work and bait some swims.

Interesting observation. Do you find they feed more after dark in high pressure at this time of the year as I posted earlier?

On my local rivers the after dark feeding was especially pronounced when we had a mild spell with SW winds due to a high from the Azores being over us. What was even more pronounced was that the daytime fishing was poor in seemingly perfect conditions.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I'm not sure Steve, that may have something to do with it. I think it's perhaps more related to the longer days and springlike weather, although I don't know why. From Nov to Jan the best time seems to be mid afternoon, then from about mid Feb to mid March after dark is usually the best time. Dusk never seems to be particularly good, oddly.

That pattern has repeated itself over the last few years, despite fishing all hours throughout the winters. I've never found a pattern with moon phases or air pressure. The key thing is decent river conditions i.e. a steady flow, not high, not coloured. Cold weather helps with catching the bigger ones too, the warm spring weather is lovely but for chubbing I'd prefer it to be 10 degrees colder!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music