XP Sevice Pack 2 coming soon

Leon Roskilly

Downloaded mine yesterday took approx. an hour to download and install on my 750 Kb/s connection. The file was just over 90 Mb. Absolutely no problems at all afterwards other than allowing a few new internet access requests through ZoneAlarm.

[ 27. August 2004, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: Paul_D ]

Paul

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got fed up waiting for it on "Automatic Update", so I turned that off and went to the MS Update site and downloaded it "manually".

My experience is the same as Poledarks, everything seems to be running smoothly and a bit faster.

I also have Norton 2003 installed.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

most people who have windws auto update will have most of the SP2 anyway, same as what happend with SP1. I downloaded it and had no problems i didnt notice any change really. i dont use wireless etc etc i only get the updates as windows has so many security issues with it in the first place. I like to know whats on my pc stays that way.

Im not saying that if you use the windows update you get the whole SP2 you get most of it. because i keep my windows updated it only took just over a hour to download the SP2 and then about 1 hour to install and 3 reboots later all is well.

1 thing to remember tho is those who have a aquired XP dont get the updates theres a patch in them that knocks of any registration from er less than legal XP's

Visit our NEW FISHING Website (now updatedANGLERS-TALES

don`t have that problem rickster just hate the big brother way sp2 trys to run your computer,and when you tell it to stop you get it poping up whinging at you about it.

may be ok for a novice but i hate it.

and i am no expert.

besides with the sieve design of xp and all its other bits how good can there firewall be?

later guys i`m going fishing

pinky - why don't you just find a Linux distro you like and remove any Microsoft OS in favor of that flavor of Linux?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

it does make laugh the way they release windows version incomplete, over here if you was to sell a car with out a door you would get nicked for it but its ok for mr gates to go and release half finished software.

(I use windows because i cant get to grip with linux)

Visit our NEW FISHING Website (now updatedANGLERS-TALES

LOL. rickster, I think if Microsoft were selling you a package of hardware & software they had assembled and that was only designed to do one thing, there would be fewer problems with it.

And considering how much simpler a car is than any full PC operating system, it's a wonder that any car maker ever has a product recall because of some defect they discovered only after their product had been on the road a few months or years.

Microsoft is not perfect by any means and there are certainly bugs with any new OS or major OS update they release. But considering the millions of variations (hardware, programs, etc.) they have to take into consideration, I think they do pretty well.

"Mr. Auto Dealer, I really like this 7 series BMW and want to buy it. But please change the engine to a Chevrolet V8, put in a Land Rover manual transmission, a Volvo cruise control. I'll usually be operating it on a paved motorway but will occasionally want to go off-road or on the water with it.

I'm not going to have any trouble with BMW's control computer part am I?

If you find areas that need improvement you will provide them to me for no cost, won't you?"

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President