Allcock Sapper Fly Rod

StigBlack

I have recently been given an Allcock 'Sapper' split cane fly rod by my father. Whilst most of my angling is of the saltwater variety, I am keen to try my hand at fly fishing in the reservoirs and small rivers of the Isle of Man where I live. I would like some advice on a reel to match the 'Sapper' in terms of its age, the rod type and the fishing I've mentioned. I should say that I am a complete novice at Fly Fishing, but as I said, I'd like to give it a try and this seems like a good opportunity. I wold welcome any thoughts / comments you have.

I have recently been given an Allcock 'Sapper' split cane fly rod by my father. Whilst most of my angling is of the saltwater variety, I am keen to try my hand at fly fishing in the reservoirs and small rivers of the Isle of Man where I live. I would like some advice on a reel to match the 'Sapper' in terms of its age, the rod type and the fishing I've mentioned. I should say that I am a complete novice at Fly Fishing, but as I said, I'd like to give it a try and this seems like a good opportunity. I wold welcome any thoughts / comments you have.

you cant go wrong with a hardy reel mate..do you live near the tt course in the isle of man???im big into bikes myself..

"two men were standing on the bank of the river and one says to the other"how can i catch a fish?? and the other replied "you keep your bait in the water!!!"

I would hang the Allcock on the wall,spend a hundred quid on a nice starter out fit and enjoy the fishing!

give your self half a chance modern gear is far more forgiving and easier to use, once you can cast a line which wont take you long to learn, then try the antique,

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

I agree with FB. I love split cane fly rods and use them all the time but they wouldn't be what I would choose to start with. Get a reasonable carbon rod and cheap reel and spend a bit on a fly line. (The Pitsford Pirate who contributes on here from time to time is the man to contact ;) )

Once you are proficient give the cane rod a shot. You will either love it or hang it back up on the wall. :P

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/