Wingham Fish-In 2014

Steve Burke

Ok chaps, I'm praying for a place at Wingham again this year and after losing a couple of fish last year in snags I'm looking to load my spools with some new line which is more abrasion resistant that the sensor I use for so much of my fishing.

I know it's personal preference at the end of the day but need a few ideas please?

Thanks in advance

Ant

Very strange as sensor is a resiliant mono...one of the best imo.

Edited by Tigger

One of the reasons why I use it for 90% of my fishing, and the fact that it's so cheap. Just looking for something that will take a bit of a hammering when it comes to snaggy waters and gravel bars. Just hate losing fish, especially somewhere like a Wingham when the next fish could be something special!

Edited by Anthony78

Effort equals reward!!

Antony,

I used to use big game in 10 or 12lb depending on the swim. I know Andrew uses sensor. I would stick to sensor just go much heavier and be careful about casting over the bars.

A rubbing leader or something might be an idea in some swims.

Rich

Edited by Kappa

Thanks Rich, going to be stepping up all my gear this year as I felt a little under gunned last year. You gonna be showing your face again the fish-in this year?

Effort equals reward!!

10lb sensor has always been my main mainline at wingham. If fishing near the bars I'd use a few feet of tubing at the business end. If it's very weedy I'd probably step it up to 12lb. There's nothing to be gained by going light!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

No, I'm no longer a member (the long journey got too much for me in the end) but am hoping to get down to the fish-in, if there's space.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

It is a shame it's so far away. I'm heading down to Bradley's the week prior to the fish-in to try and refine things a little because I don't fish gravel pits as often as I'd like. Where you fishing now then or you giving the tincas a rest at the moment?

Effort equals reward!!

Hi Anthony,

I have used Pro Clear in 10lb and 12lb for most of my fishing at Wingham but also use at least a metre and sometimes 2 metres of Anchor Tube at the business end dependent on where I am fishing at any given time and up to now have not had any issues. I like the line because it is very supple in comparison to others and is utilised with rods which have a progressive through action as opposed to those with a faster taper. I do lose distance accuracy, but as most of my fishing is done within 50 yds, I believe that I benefit in fish playing ability as you can bend into the fish and let the action of the rod do the work. If I was to go over bars then I would step up to to either 15lb Pro Gold or Big Game with a full 2 metre length of Anchor Tube on the line but still use a rod with a progressive through action. This of course is a personal preference and I am sure that others would advocate something different.

Thanks Paul. I do remember that you had quite strong views about the Sensor I was using at the last fish-in but I do like using it :-). I've been checking out the Tacklebox line tests that they carried out last year and it makes for very interesting reading. I've decided to go with some Shinano Tribal Carp in 10lb as, in tests, it had an actual diameter of .26mm but broke at just under 13.5lb. This should hopefully give me a strong line without hampering my distance too much. I've been using the Fox tungsten anchor tubing which sinks like a brick and threads incredibly easily but does have the drawback of being quite thick. Which one do you use if you don't mind me asking?

Effort equals reward!!