Wingham Fish-In 2014

Steve Burke

Thanks Paul. I do remember that you had quite strong views about the Sensor I was using at the last fish-in but I do like using it :-). I've been checking out the Tacklebox line tests that they carried out last year and it makes for very interesting reading. I've decided to go with some Shinano Tribal Carp in 10lb as, in tests, it had an actual diameter of .26mm but broke at just under 13.5lb. This should hopefully give me a strong line without hampering my distance too much. I've been using the Fox tungsten anchor tubing which sinks like a brick and threads incredibly easily but does have the drawback of being quite thick. Which one do you use if you don't mind me asking?

Hi Anthony, I reckon 0.26mm is too fine for Wingham. I wouldn't go less than 0.28 and higher in weed.

You'd be far better off with 10lb Sensor. The 12lb Pro Clear at 0.29 also looks worth a try but I can't speak as someone who's used it. If you can find any remaining Shimano Catana in 10lb it's pretty much bomb proof.

• Like 1

Sensor is a very good line for the price but a very good line regardless.

I don't think the colour makes any difference as the fish are not often caught so it's simple gear and location is the only thing worth worrying about although i do think that 'Any' bait is not the case as it was but the regulars might disagree. :)

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

I say pretty much the same thing every year - location and fishing accurately is top of the list (and there are always people there who can give solid advice if you want it), and fish however suits you best. You don't need to go out of your comfort zone, whatever that may be.

A very safe default is a running maggot feeder using stout gear. That will catch whatever is in front of you, from the perch and eels to the tench and bream. If the eels are a pain after dark, change to a non-animal bait.

If other people are catching and you're not, try fishing different spots. The feeding areas can be very localised, and you may just be in slightly the wrong spot.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

By the way, I haven't allowed any form of leader at Wingham now for a few years. Tubing however is fine.

In Jim Gibbinson's bench tests Sensor came out as a decent allrounder with no weaknesses, but no real strengths. To my mind though its only merit is its low price. This is because there are many better lines, especially for abrasion resistance. This means that for a given abrasion resistance you can use a thinner line than Sensor. My own choice is Pro Gold that I've used for many years in 8lb b.s. for Wingham tench etc. Unlike its stablemate Pro Clear the breaking strain is understated. It's also nice and supple and sinks well.

The weed is already growing fast and may prove troublesome in 3 weeks when we have the Fish-In. For this reason we may bring future fish-ins 3 weeks or so forward until we can use chemicals to treat the weed again.

However the biggest problem we have at the moment is the aftermath of the flooding. This was from groundwater and, whilst levels are slowly subsiding, we still have 5 swims out of action, either because they're waterlogged or we can't get access to them in vehicles. Hopefully this will have improved by the time of the Fish-In.

This year we've got a lot more work to do than usual because of the weather, and of course less time to do it in. Additionally we're currently repairing the concrete approach road, and putting barley straw "sausages" in both lakes to minimise the threat of blue-green algae. We're working flat out to get everything ready, and the whole team is already pretty exhausted. However, by hook or by crook, we will be ready.

The tench are feeding well, and they're much chunkier and heavier this year due to the mild weather! Hopefully we'll get a double or two on the Fish-In.

Look out for an announcement that I'm taking bookings about Friday.

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Thanks Paul. I do remember that you had quite strong views about the Sensor I was using at the last fish-in but I do like using it :-). I've been checking out the Tacklebox line tests that they carried out last year and it makes for very interesting reading. I've decided to go with some Shinano Tribal Carp in 10lb as, in tests, it had an actual diameter of .26mm but broke at just under 13.5lb. This should hopefully give me a strong line without hampering my distance too much. I've been using the Fox tungsten anchor tubing which sinks like a brick and threads incredibly easily but does have the drawback of being quite thick. Which one do you use if you don't mind me asking?

My preference is for the ESP brand in the thinner 1.25 version. It can be a pain to thread and is much better if you first run through a lentgth of wire trace to clear out the bore of the tubing before threading your line however it does make for neat and less bulky rigs whilst pinning the line down.

http://www.esp-carpgear.com/viewProduct.php?id=72

There are several different varieties of the same thing around but I have found this is the one that suits me best although it can be frustrating to thread it at times.

Hi Anthony, I reckon 0.26mm is too fine for Wingham. I wouldn't go less than 0.28 and higher in weed.

You'd be far better off with 10lb Sensor. The 12lb Pro Clear at 0.29 also looks worth a try but I can't speak as someone who's used it. If you can find any remaining Shimano Catana in 10lb it's pretty much bomb proof.

Oh crap! I was afraid you'd say that Rob as I was torn between this one and the ESP Syncro XT after the advice you gave me on FB. I'll probably put this one on my long distance carp set up then as with a shock leader it'll probably be perfect for this. Going on the advice of everyone I'll probably stick with the 10lb Sensor now as it seems to work ok for most. When I lost those fish last year I was using my barbel rods which just did not have the back bone to stop those Wingham tench from getting in the snags in front of me. Thinking back this was probably the main reason I lost them so thinking that maybe this year I use my 2.2lb rods instead which will hopefully give me the power to stop them getting to the snags In the first place.

Effort equals reward!!

My preference is for the ESP brand in the thinner 1.25 version. It can be a pain to thread and is much better if you first run through a lentgth of wire trace to clear out the bore of the tubing before threading your line however it does make for neat and less bulky rigs whilst pinning the line down.

http://www.esp-carpgear.com/viewProduct.php?id=72

There are several different varieties of the same thing around but I have found this is the one that suits me best although it can be frustrating to thread it at times.

Thanks Paul. I'll have a look at this one as I need to stock up ready for Wingham.....if I get a place that is.

Thanks again

Ant

Effort equals reward!!

Oh crap! I was afraid you'd say that Rob as I was torn between this one and the ESP Syncro XT after the advice you gave me on FB. I'll probably put this one on my long distance carp set up then as with a shock leader it'll probably be perfect for this. Going on the advice of everyone I'll probably stick with the 10lb Sensor now as it seems to work ok for most. When I lost those fish last year I was using my barbel rods which just did not have the back bone to stop those Wingham tench from getting in the snags in front of me. Thinking back this was probably the main reason I lost them so thinking that maybe this year I use my 2.2lb rods instead which will hopefully give me the power to stop them getting to the snags In the first place.

Blimey, what test are your barbel rods Anthony ? If they can't stop a tench in it's tracks then they'd be useless for the barbel in the rivers near me.