Wingham Fish-In 2014

Steve Burke

Blimey, what test are your barbel rods Anthony ? If they can't stop a tench in it's tracks then they'd be useless for the barbel in the rivers near me.

They are 1.75lb tc but have a very through action which, although brilliant for playing fish under your feet, are not great for stearing fish away from snags at distance. I use them for all my tench and barbel fishing and they're superb rods but just did not have the backbone to stop the tench from getting to the snags in open water when fishing at 50 yards at Wingham.

Effort equals reward!!

Hi Steve, any information you can share on pro clear? It's one I'm considering now Catana is discontinued, tackle box line tests have it as understated with the 0.29mm 12lb stated breaking at closer to 15lb.

Unlike its stablemate Pro Clear the breaking strain is understated.

Another good/tough line is Fox soft Steel and Fox Camo, I use them when ledgering on the river and they've been spot on.

I use both as my main lines for Wingham in 10lb and 12lb and found them up to the job.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I say pretty much the same thing every year - location and fishing accurately is top of the list (and there are always people there who can give solid advice if you want it), and fish however suits you best. You don't need to go out of your comfort zone, whatever that may be.

A very safe default is a running maggot feeder using stout gear. That will catch whatever is in front of you, from the perch and eels to the tench and bream. If the eels are a pain after dark, change to a non-animal bait.

If other people are catching and you're not, try fishing different spots. The feeding areas can be very localised, and you may just be in slightly the wrong spot.

Yes. I think some swims have quite big areas to put a bait but some very very small. I remember spending 6 hours ( yes SIX) totally plumbing one swim. I found a patch no more than 2ft square and gave it a go and it produced very well until the weed moved in and i just could not get the bait down.There is a superb silt area but you really have to be casting to the moon to get there and its a catch 22 as you need the weight but to heavy it sinks into the silt.....I better stop there :)

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

Hi Steve, any information you can share on pro clear? It's one I'm considering now Catana is discontinued, tackle box line tests have it as understated with the 0.29mm 12lb stated breaking at closer to 15lb.

I believe the Tackle Box tests are based on dry breaking strain whereas Jim Gibbinson's were based on wet braking strain that's of course more accurate. Different lines lose a different amount of strength when wet. BTW, there seems to be an anomaly in the Tackle Box tests as they give almost no difference in strength between 8 and 10lb Pro Gold.

I've used Pro Clear in 16lb b.s. for which I found it excellent. I see no reason that the 12lb b.s. wouldn't be suitable for Wingham.

I remember talking at length some years ago to Rob Eustace at Gold Label, the importers of Pro Clear and Pro Gold about the differences between the two. Unfortunately I can't remember what they were! I do recall though Rob recommended Pro Gold for what I wanted for tench fishing at Wingham. Somewhere on my old computer I've got some notes on the conversation. However I've found this on their web site:

"Pro Clear is a reduced diameter line, this means it will out-cast Pro

Gold (and other lines) of the same rating. However, when we reduce the

diameter of a line it reduces the abrasion resistance by a greater

ratio - roughly speaking, take away 10% of diameter and you reduce

abrasion resistance by 20%+ due to the ammount of 'body' gone from the

line. In order to give a bit more of a buffer we have increased the

anti-abrasion properties of the Pro Clear so that if the distance

caster encounters snags weed and gravel etc, not all is lost as it

would be with some line (no I won't mention

names!)

To sum up - in exact diameter comparisons (not breaking strain) Pro

Clear is more abrasion resistant.

But now I'm going to complicate things a bit! Pro Gold (and the new

Pro

Tough) have greater shock absorbancy than Pro Clear, so they will

absorb lunges under the rod tip a little better.

Here's how I spool my reels -

Ultra distance / clear water (no snags) - 12lb Pro Clear

Long distance / weed and gravel 16lb Pro Clear

Heavy snags/weed/gravel 15lb Pro Gold / 20lb Pro

Clear

Snags at distance 12lb Pro Gold

If you do want to use Pro Clear for snag fishing, just chose a

breaking strain up from your normal - if you use 15lb line, go for

20lb Pro Clear - it will still cast better, but also give you an edge landing fish."

• Like 1

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

From what I can remember Pro Clear is a somewhat pre-stretched line. It's therefore thinner for a given breaking strain so will cast further. The downside is that it has less shock absorption so it's not so good at playing fish under the rod tip.

Either would be a good choice at Wingham, my own being Pro Gold as I don't fish at long range. However I wouldn't want to go lower than 8lb in Pro Gold, 10lb in Pro Clear.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Just a quick one. Im afraid Im not going to be able to loan out any beds,bivvies,tackle this year as a lot is packed away due to us moving. Sorry about this guys.

Edited by Dick Dastardly

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Can I just put in my two pennorth regarding line and recommend a line I have been using for a couple of years now.

It's a cheap as chips, thinner than most (the 16lb is the same dia as Sensor 12lb) and I landed a 100lb cat from a very weedy lake on the 14lb so it works.

It casts well and seem to be abrasion resistant.

http://www.sakuma.co.uk/p/237/sakuma-lite-grey-crystal-4oz

It also comes in other colours

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/