Wingham Fish-In 2014

Steve Burke

Lots of useful tips and tactics shared as I start to think about this years assualt on Wingham. What thoughts does anyone have about what should be in my PVA stocking ?

Pellets or groundbait or other ? What flavours would be suggested ?

personally I use casters, maggots red either dead or live and hemp. Hemp needs to be pva friendly. Pva friendly hemp is available in tubs ready done and because its cooked in salt it lasts for ages once opened so actually quite economical and easy to move in its own resealable tub. When using the ebay cheaper pva the maggots do start to escape as you set it all up but thats not a problem. I normally put a bit of hemp in first then the live maggots and then a bit more hemp,

Good thing with red maggots , both where I am fishing and wingham, is perch love them too.

At the end of my mainline I use a quick release swivel so you can unhook your hook length easily thead it through the bag and re attach. A fantastic tangle free method.

Using soft braid hook lengths does lead to it wrapping itself around mainline on cast but using the stocking stops that.

If I am going to cast a bit harder I will leave a longer tag on the stocking and cut down it so I can tye it on the lead. I then hook the hook into the side of this. The reason for this is if you are using maggots on the hook and have all the bag pushing down on it as you would if you thread it through you risk the maggots being pushed off on the cast due to the pressure of the stocking.

If you are fishing the bait off the hook on a maggot clip or a more complicated but better setup then threading through I find easier.

Hope this helps

John

If I'm using maggots for bait (real or fake) I just have a little bag of real maggots. Same with real or fake casters. These are usually fished over a light dusting of groundbait, so they're little focal points.

If using mini boilies, real or fake corn or other particles, I usually use a little bag containing the groundbait I'm using but with a bit of extra attraction added, e.g. crushed boilies or additional micro pellet. Again, I want that little mouthful to be a bit more interesting than the surrounding bait.

I generally use a lot of different small items in the groundbait, with the aim of preventing the fish getting preoccupied on any particular item, and get them browsing and hoovering over the area, looking for something a bit more significant. I prefer the groundbait to break up halfway down so it covers the bottom in that 'light dusting' way, rather than a load of separate balls dotted around.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

To whet your appetite we've had 5 carp caught from the Main Lake in the last few weeks, including 2 this weekend. They've been commons of 42-08, 33-08, 29-14 and 29-02, plus a mirror 36-04.

Two of the commons, including the 42-08, were caught by tench anglers!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Any sign of the bream, Steve...? Have the carpers had any yet in the last couple of seasons?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

The last bream was Colin Allchin's 18-02 in April 2012. Last season there were none to the carpers but they all fished in the weed, and as we know bream don't like weed.

We've spent the whole weekend using the Aspen weed rake in just about every swim in the Main Lake. Very surprisingly given the huge contrast in the weather, there's less weed than at this time last year!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Is it going to be as clear as last year's fish in then, Steve?

(By the way, I have my Paypal account linked to a credit card rather than a debit card, for safety. If I pay the fees, that won't have any effect on you will it?)

It's all the same for us, Steve. It can be done as a gift to avoid fees but PayPal are cracking down on this and we can't risk that with our businesses.

What we may do next year is to allow bank transfers as that's how most Wingham members now pay.

It looks as though without so much economy of scale as there's only 2 BBQs, plus with less guests because of flooded swims, Peggy will be subsidising the BBQs this year.

Weed shouldn't be too much of a problem this year as all the tops of bars are clear, plus there's clear patches in almost every swim. Additionally the margins have all be raked over the weekend just gone.

However what I may do next year is to move the Fish-In forward by one week. The main reason is that this will allow us to start the mechanical weed raking a week earlier if the weed is bad.

Thanks Steve, yes, makes sense if the carpers are fishing into weed.

I was debating whether to just bring my medium-sized net, but after the news of all those carp I think I'll bring the big one...!