Wingham Fish-In 2014

Steve Burke

I am eating my words a bit here but Dale is right the carp rig the 'Chod' really works well in weed. It is a bit of a bugger to cast and make sure that hook really is sharp and make sure those beads are big enough and the stiff hooklength really is set in a curve. Obviously a pop up is needed and make sure it is enough to pop up that hook as the stiff hooklength make the whole thing a bit heavy. I usually drilled a boilie out and put foam in as a pop up unless a big one was not light enough. I found an artificial pop up attracted Pike but a real one didn't don't ask my why?

Its worked quite well for me on weedy waters

• Like 1

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

Dave, would that be the Korda Chod System? :-)

http://www.korda.co.uk/fishingtackle/chod-kit/naked-chod-safety-system/

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

You can make your own dale it's not that difficult or buy it from Korda but if i catch something i like to think it's all my own doing plus you know yourself all knots are secure...

A little advise re the amount of weed.

Have you ever been out on one of those days where its cloudy/showery but the sun keeps coming through.

You look around and all you can see is cloud. But the sun keeps bursting through.

Its because of the angle we are seeing the clouds. The weed is similar. Its probably far less dense than we think with good clear bits between the stems below the surface. The secret is not to get hooked up on the stems with the bait on the way down. If you can get it through the surface onto the lake bed then you will catch. Fish love being in weed they feed confidently.

The chod rig is good but is not necessarily designed for tall weed.

The pva stocking, as Dales says, is probably the best way espescially for tench. You can make a small bag up and thread your hook length through it and it will protect your hook on the way down. My favourite pva friendly contents are dead red maggots casters and pva friendly hemp cooked in salt water or bought ready done in tubs.

John

Edited by John Weddup
  • Like 2

I don't have a lot of experience with distance fishing, 40 or 50yds being my maximum. I have found that even at these distances, and much less, a slow sinking rig is at the mercy of any undertow, much more than a normal one. We used to use a balanced weight for fishing over dense weed, ie, a loaded wood, or plastic weight, that would just sink in water. This of course had to be fished with a pretty slack line, because any variation in the undertow would cause it to drift in one direction, and maybe a section of the line in another. Tightening up would cause the weight, and bait, to zig zag until you got a reasonably straight line. The deeper the water, the greater the effect on your end rig. I hear that having the bait in the right spot is paramount to catching at Wingham, so I was wondering what you Wingham regulars do to counter this? Do you cast down wind, hoping that the undertow will take you to the right spot?

My solution would be a paternoster rig, with buoyancy built into the top of the weight link, and maybe the same on the hook. John made a good point in the above post, and checking the density of the weed would be my first priority.

John,

• Like 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Firstly, please remember that no leaders of any kind are now allowed at Wingham. There mustn't be a knot above your lead even if you use a lead release system.

Naked chods are fine though.

The weed wasn't too bad a few days ago but the problem is that it's now growing very quickly. That said, when we were out in the boat nearly every swim had several sizeable clear areas.

We've still got a lot of work to do getting everything ready, especially with a wet weekend forecast. One of the things we're planning is to use the Aspen weed rakes to clear the margins of all the swims we're going to peg.

There's less on the Forum about Wingham this year as a number of regular posters have dropped out of the syndicate. However little has changed except that the fish are even bigger! In fact, this year the tench are noticeable chunkier.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Applications are now closed.

I may have to turn one or two of you down this year as we still have several swims out of action due to high groundwater levels. Additionally, there's a fair bit of rain forecast over the weekend.

I've just returned from a few days away visiting family so am not up to date. However I'll let everyone know the score asap.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I think this weather over here is so un predictable now. So much rain over the last few years it drives me mad. I hope you get a break in the weather or you just get the odd day that passes over. Good luck to all :)

Both the John's make very good points and the best way to fish weed is to try to find the clear spots or at least the parts where it is not so think at the base like John Weddup pointed out. I am not a huge fan of fishing at range and John (gozzer) is right that you may experience issues with under tow on slow sinking rigs but often I have not had this problem. The added bonus of puting PVA nuggets in a PVA bag is that they will float up after the bag breaks, I know that they could have moved in the water columne on the way up but it's a case of puting together all the bits of knowledge you can gain on your swim and the conditions and making a judgement call on what you think is happening in your swim. Casting around a lead or seeing what happens to a float can all give valuable information on weed and undertow all of this is easier to do closer in so don't feel you have to fish at range as many fish come from closer in.

If the undertow seems bad and the swim allows it, I will often cast to a side of a bar so that it can roll in to it and the odd swim I cast on to the bar and then pull the rig back so it drops in to the gulley for this tactic i double bag to protect the hook and ensure the contents do not come out in the wrong place.

One thing I would point out is that it is wortth having a good selection of weights with you to combat bad conditions, I have fished before when my rig has been dragged all over the place even with a heavy gripper style lead and other times I have with a 1/2 oz lead and am sure it landed on the money and stayed put with no problems at all. It is often a case of adapting to the conditions on the day. So I would rather have the kit in my tackle box to make the call on light or heavy leads, feeders, slow sinking rigs etc then go with a definate plan and finding that you have the wrong gear with you for the conditions.

So my 2 tips are PVA and a selection of weights from light to heavy to allow you to adjust to the swim and conditions.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

The other thing that springs to mind is that 10-12lb lines make even more sense if there is a lot of weed. I normally use 6-8lb mainline for tench fishing, but when the fish aren't line shy, there are gravel bars and lots of weed, spooling up with something heavier seems a no-brainer.

• Like 1