XP Network Setup Instructions

Newt

note: these are written for kendo's problem but should be general enough to fit most home or small office network situations but they are written specifically for XP. They will work for 2000 - just treat a 2K PC as you would XP-pro. If you have other OS versions, there will be a few things you have to do differently.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OK then. Lets do it. Make sure you do all the following and in the exact order listed. There are quite a few steps but hopefully they are all written clearly enough you can do them. If not, let me know and I'll clarify any that are confusing since it will have been the way I wrote them that needs work.

- make a paper copy of all your network settings because we are going to destroy many of them and you'll need the info to set things back up properly. So

.. properties for TCP/IP on the network card to include IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, any WINS and DNS settings.

.. a listing of all your network devices (and some may be there but 'virtual' rather than actual hardware you have - different ISPs do strange things to make their network function)

.. (this is some duplication but easy enough so not a problem)

*** click on start, on run, key in cmd and OK

*** key in

code:

ipconfig /all > c:ipconfig.txt

and ENTER. Print a copy of the c:ipconfig.txt file you created and be sure to identify which one goes with what PC.

.. all the network settings for browser(s) and email client(s). I don't expect to lose these but it could happen. While you are there, empty the Temporary Internet Files and Cookies.

.. print a copy of the article at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...;301041&sd=tech for setting up NetBEUI on XP.

This next step will work with XP and with 2000 but is only essential with XP. The normal way to get a clean start with networking is to simply remove all the network components and reload but XP will not allow TCP/IP to be removed so you need a way to reset it.

- go into properties for the network card again and remove Client for Microsoft Networks and File & Printer Sharing if either or both is present. Exit the network card section.

- click on start, on run, key in cmd and OK

- from the command window that opens

code:

Netsh int ip reset C:iplog.txt

If you later want to see exactly what changes were made, c:iplog.txt will have those - and note that the netsh reset will not run without a text file to record the changes.

- reboot

Now to set things up once again but with a little bit added.

- make sure that both PCs belong to the same workgroup and that both have different PC names. Different as in, JOE & FRED will be fine but JOE1 and JOE2 will not. Both names should be 15 or fewer characters, comprised of only alpha-numeric characters (A-Z and 0-9) or the symbols - and _ if you wish. So JOES-BABY and FREDS_TOY or JOE1 and FRED1.

- add Client for Microsoft Networks and File & Printer Sharing back to the network card setups.

- set up TCP/IP using the data you gathered in the beginning.

- set up NetBeui on both PCs as shown in the article you printed.

- in the 'bindings' section of your network cards (see the pictures) you will see lines for TCP/IP as pictured and also for NetBEUI which isn't pictured since I don't have it loaded on this PC. Remove the bindings check for TCP/IP and leave NetBEUI checked. This will result in TCP/IP being available for internet use but all your local file and printer sharing will only be done via NetBEUI which cannot be hacked into from the outside so it is completely secure.

an-bindings1.jpg

an-bindings2.jpg

To make the file & printer sharing work properly now that you've reset everything, you need to make sure that both XP PCs have some way to know WHO is trying to connect. With a home or small office, workgroup setup you have several options.

- both PCs should have the user logging on with a username and a non-blank password. If you are not using passwords at this point you need to start. On XP-pro you can just right-click My Computer, left-click Manage, go into the users folder and right-click the account you use and add a password. Pay no attention to the dire warning about losing access to stuff. XP-home will work the same but it may require you do boot into safe mode and log on with the Administrator account first. I never use the home version and while I know a few of it's security quirks, I'm not positive about this one.

- now that you have passworded accounts you log on with, you have a few different options - pick the one you prefer

** use the exact same username/password on both machines and nothing else is needed. This is my least favorite option and I really don't recommend it.

** make sure the Guest account is active. By default it is enabled when you install XP-home and disabled when you install XP-pro. This will mean any other user on the network will have access as long as he/she is logging on to the other PC with username & password.

** add a copy of each user account you'll be using to the Users section of each PC.

At this point you should be good to go. Everything ought to be working but if the modem, browser or email aren't connecting, check the settings and put them like they were before we started if needed.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

It should. Love to hear the results though.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President