Still Network Problems

Nicholas Simpson

Hello me and kendo had a crack at it last night for about 2 hours and we seem to have got no were still. We followed newts instructions step by step.

I finished doing everything this moirning and it seems to be still not working.

One thing i have noticed when kendos computer is on the light on the hub stays on! However wen my computer goes off the light goes off!

Could it be some sort of hardware error?

I really am stuck in a rut now!!!

Wish you lived a bit closer NEWT ya could have come and give us a hand!

Any more info be much appreciated!

Hi Nick.........

Not followed this topic from the beginning so unsure where you are at........

Common fault for problem you descibe is that you have not 'shared' your drives on each machine.

I have encountered similar problems with my networked PC's at home and it is queer that sometimes the system needs a few goes to start up and establish a heirarchy, after this is done it will continue

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

Leaving the fact that for just 2 pc's you don't need a hub (just x over leads).

In terms of HUB/SWITCH connections:

LEDS should indicate when each port is occupied and 'collisions' occur and power, therefore you normaly have 4 leds on when 2 pc's are connected.(depdends on hub / switch).

Power, Conn / Collision, Port1, Port2.

Make sure you are not connecting to the 'uplink' or 'downlink' port on the hub. (you could use 2&3 or 3&4 if you like). You should also have leds on your network cards to confirm data as well.

Most hub/switch makers have setup routines on their websites to make it painless.

And as previous make sure drives are shared and pc's have 'names' that are not duplicated.

Tog

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

Have you tried the network setup wizard on XP.

Can you 'ping' each others comps

can you map network drives?

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

Nicholas Simpson:

Cant Ping Cant Map Drives

and Network Setup is useless and has been tried

If you can't ping each others comp then you have made a mistake mate.... I know it is easy for somebody on the outside to say and after spending hours in the past pulling my hair out you are not alone.

The network setup wizard does work..........

have you tried going back to basic basics, is the network card of each comp OK, look under device manager and check for conflicts.

Very often with Comps it is the most silly reason for things not to work...

But as I said before, I have set up networks in the past and found they just will not work, you check everything and it is ok but still no network......

XP does have to establish a heirarchy, its daft but sometimes the Comps on the network seem to battle as to who is where on the list, when they settle and it works it will continue

This network setup has been used by Kendo and I before. My machine and his both running XP home, pre Service pack 2. Sure, we had a few glitches, like I could see him and me, but he only saw himself, but the games we used to network would link and play fine.

So, the hub and cables, and Kendos network card were fine at that point in time.

Kendo, when I get a little time, I will fetch my box down, and see if we can still link. I have not taken off any of my previous network settings.