PS2 & Broadband probs

Davy Holt

Hiya,

Ok I've been trying to get marks PS2 online so that he can play online games.

I can get on the home network, it can contact the DNS servers, I can get it to Ping, Trace Route and authenticate the DNSA.. but not all 5 at once :(

It's driving me mental (ok I'm already there) Every time I get the network setup to test the connection it either freezes up or gives me a different error each time I try.

Any suggestions??? Please :)

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

What OS version Davy?

If it is 9X, make sure you have DUN v1.4 installed. DUN = Dial Up Networking but it updated a large number of networking files above those needed for a dial-up connection.

DUN v1.4 versions for 95, 98FE, 98SE available Here.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi Newt, its a Sony playstation

Davy, is the PS2 connected via a router, PC or is it direct into the modem?

I've had a few problems with firewalls causing funnies if its not directly connected.

[ 20. December 2004, 12:48 AM: Message edited by: KennyC ]

Hiya,

The OS is XP Pro

The PS2 is connected through a netgear FR114P firewall/ router. I've tried connecting it directly to the the modem, but it fails on every test.

Connecting through the Firewall I can get the 5 test passed but as I said never all at once. the failures are not consistent with different parts failing each time or the PS2 decides just to lock up :(

The fact that the error is not consistent seems to rule out the firewall configuration

Davy

Hiya,

I have the Modem feeding the Firewall/router then the PC's and the PS" then connect to the Firewall/Router. The Firewall/Router is running NAT, since it's a combined unit I cant just turn the firewall off.

I have the PS2 set with a fixed IP address and I have even tried setting up a DMZ for that address only but to no avail.

Davy

• 2 weeks later...

Still having probs ?

I have a netgear rp114 router, similar to yours and i have no problem using a ps2 in the way you are trying to do.

Netgear have got some firmware updates for that router. Click here

It should work without setting dmz and seperate ip`s for the ps2 etc. Im on NTL cable modem to router. PS2 with the network disk on auto detect.

Use DHCP on the router itself though..

[ 03. January 2005, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: Stephen.uk ]

Hiya,

Yup I am :(

I've updated the firm ware in the Router :)

Tried the PS2 again on auto detect with the router set on DHCP.. failed to connect to the network :(

tried again with a DMZ set up same result :(

Tried Allocating IP address to PS2, can connect to network but fails on DNS lookup server 2 :(

any suggestions as I'm about to launch this bloody PS2 out a high window :)

Davy