server probs......I think

Hi Newt,

Haveing problems with e-mail, sending photos via upload, trouble sending photos via e-mail.

Getting message saying smpt cant be found??

Trouble is Im not good at all on computers.

Ive had it about a year now, and have never had any training or experience.

I am trying to understand it :D:D

The photos are getting to our server but not in a form that can be displayed.

That plus the SMTP errors could equally well be your PC or the ISP.

What operating system do you run and how do you connect to the internet (dial-up or broadband of some sort)?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Yakity - Yak:

p.s  What does SMPT stand for ??

Well, http://www.smpt.org/ is The Society for Mormon Philosophy and Theology but otherwise I'm not sure what SMPT might be.

XP is the OS and that helps to know as does the broadband bit.

I'd say lets start with the assumption that the problem is local to your PC. If it were BT wide, they'd probably have gotten yelled at until they got things fixed. Maybe not but easier to clean things at home before trying to get them involved.

Print a copy of this page and tick off items as you do them. Otherwise it's too easy to lose track of what is done and what is not.

- delete all contents from your browser's temporary internet files (including off-line and all cookies). With the browser open, just click on tools=>internet options and you'll see the buttons on that screen.

- empty all your temp folders so

.. c:temp (if present)

.. c:windowstemp

.. c:documents & settingsusernamelocal settingstemp

note: you'll need windows explorer set to display all files including system and hidden for this so in windows explorer, tools=>folder options=>view and the check boxes at the bottom half of the screen

Download, install, update, and run Ad-Aware SE. Select the 'full scan' option and scan. When it finishes, remove all items it found.

Download, install, update, and run Spybot Search & Destroy. I think it offers you the Immunize option when you install it and that's a good thing to do. Run a scan and remove all items it flags in red and pre-checks. Any other items (usually in green) are fine to keep or to remove.

Turn off System Restore

1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

2. Click the System Restore tab.

3. Select the Turn off System Restore check box (or the Turn off System Restore on all drives check box), and then click OK.

4. Click Yes when you receive the prompt to the turn off System Restore.

Reboot

Turn on System Restore

1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

2. Click the System Restore tab.

3. Clear the Turn off System Restore check box (or the Turn off System Restore on all drives check box), and then click OK.

[ 20. December 2004, 12:23 AM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

YY...smpt is like the postbox that your email tries to post its letters through to get to us.

Its an address stored in outlook normally in the Tools>Accounts section (double click your BT account in there, it could be named anything...but you should see something BT orientated when it opens up) click the servers tab...you'll see Outgoing Mail (smtp) and a box next to it, hopefully with something written in it.

now i was on BTopenworld, so my SMTP server was mail.btinternet.com and i had to check "my server uses authentication" and enter my email address and password in the window that "settings" opens. BUT you may be on another flavour of BT BB and therefore your settings might not be the same. You will need to check on the support page for your flavour of BB.

The above assumes that your computer may have "forgotten" where to post your emails and you just need to nudge it back into action by refreshing its memory and telling it again where to send things. However it may be that the "post box" is broken, or that your computer cant get to it for some technical reason.

Its nothing serious, i'd suggest giving BT a call and getting tech support to take you through it, because the staff will have step by step sheets telling them what to tell you in a priority which will try the simplest things first...a bit like getting a car started, checking theres petrol before doing an engine drop They may say something like SMTP is down, in which case it just could be their end, not yours :)

gonefishing:

YY...smpt is like the postbox that your email tries to post its letters through to get to us.

SMTP is Simple Mail Transfer Protocol and is what most ISPs use to send email. POP3 is the usual opposite one used for receiving email.

But he asked about SMPT and I really don't know what that might be. Not an internet related thing of any sort.

Hi Newt and GF.

Thankyou both for your time and advice.

:D:D GF.....I think Ive got everything the wrong way round at the moment.

Trying to understand something you have little knowlage of is realy frustrateing.

Haveing said that, I am enjoying learning........ all be it SLOWLY :(:D .

Right,......time to hammer some buttons :rolleyes:

Hows the UKKA site doing GF, cracked it yet ??

Thankyou both again.

YY :)