Why do I get a Red Cross in a Box?

Cyranne 12

Since Newt posted about Rapala funny things I have been unable to pick up any of the animated funnies that I used to enjoy. Andy Macfarlane gave me a hint,but Macromedia Flashplayer tells me that it can't find a "plug-in". Can anyone guide a computer dummy back to where I used to be? Windows XP Prof with SP2 installed. :confused:

Cryanne 12 - more detail if possible.

Try a flash page so you'll have a current failure then click on start => run => eventvwr.msc and OK. This will open your event logs.

Check for recent errors or warnings in all three of the logs and if you find any that look possibly related, open the event, click on the icon below the up/down arrows to send a text copy to your clipboard, and paste the results here. There may be more than one or maybe some you aren't sure about so post any that are 'possible'.

After you've had a failure, go into tools => internet options => security tab and add that site to your trusted sites (so be careful which one you pick). Just add the main part of the URL so if you tried http://somesite.com/deeper/yet deeper/someflash.swf you'd just add http://somesite.com to the trusted sites. Then go away from the page and back to it and see if the flash will play then. Add that info to any events you post or if no events, just the results of the 'trusted site' thing.

[ 22. December 2004, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Many thanks for your response Newt.Sorry to say that I am not sufficiently savvy to follow the first para;when I have all 3 logs showing there is no up/down arrow nor icon.Neither can I find any evidence of errors in the 3 files.

Followed the second para to the letter(using your Rapala flash): no joy

My Trusted site area was empty I have entered Anglers Net I hope that's safe !

AN is certainly safe. But for the Rapala thing, you would need to add their site (also safe). Easy enough to remove it later which is what I usually do.

As to the event log piece, when you are in a section of log files like system or applications and you double-click open an event you should see something like this picture.

an-events.jpg

When you click the icon nothing appears to happen but from the above picture, if you clicked that icon then opened a reply on here and did edit=>paste, you'd get

quote:

Event Type: Warning

Event Source: EventSystem

Event Category: (52)

Event ID: 4356

Date: 12/22/2004

Time: 15:17:49

User: N/A

Computer: PMUUSWXPLH0NMP

Description:

The COM+ Event System failed to create an instance of the subscriber partition:{41E90F3E-56C1-4633-81C3-6E8BAC8BDD70}!new:{6295DF2D-35EE-11D1-8707-00C04FD93327}. CoGetObject returned HRESULT 8000401A.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp

[ 22. December 2004, 09:37 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hello Newt ---- sorry for the time lapse-- I've been off-line.

Don't seem to be getting anywhere with my attempts to post results ---- they don't seem to say much anyway.I am missing something on the Trusted site thing --- I can't see a result? Can you offer anything more --- or shall we just leave it and have a Happy Christmas? santa :)

Hello gonefishing --- many thanks for the suggestion ---it was spot on.Downloaded Firefox and I have animations,including Newts drunken bass.However I still have to follow Newts' path to solving the Explorer difficulty ----- a bit later, when the house clears of Boxing day family visitors.

Hope you have had a good Festival---- you seem to keep odd hours?