Wireless networking ?

RobStubbs

I know this topic has been posted before (like a good boy I searched first ) but the threads were fairly old and not too useful.

My question is that I want to set up a wireless network from my main PC to my laptop. Both use XP and the PC is on broadband with ntl. I guess what I would like is something easy to set up at both ends so that I can use the laptop around the house for surfing etc. So can anyone recommend any decent products/solutions ?

Thanks in anticipation.

Rob.

Rob, If you live 'some distance' from others likely to have WIFI you should be OK, If you have a lot of PC' savy neighbours you may have problems with finding a spare channel (bit like the old radio baby alarm problems)

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

ALso make sure you make it a secure connection or else you could well be giving free internet access away :)

A bit like the guy in the office below ours :):)

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Rob, as most of the posts are instigated by me or have some input from moi may I be of some assistance??

RIGHT!! I have never ever got to the bottom of the WI fi thing at all!! I have asked all over and eventually was advised to get myself a adsl modem with built in wireless router. I bought from Staples as I got 20% off as I opened a Business account (You do NOT need to have a business to open one!!) the time I bought it was when they had a special business night on. I also bought a USB plug in receiver for the laptop. Cost was in the region of £100 in total. Hub was £69.95 and USB was £29.95. I bought a BELKIN and was glad I did!!

Basically I could NOT get the PC to talk to the laptop whichever way I did what!! But I rang the helpline and was connected to Los Angeles (Phone number is 0800!!) I was on the phone for 2 hours!! I then went on and connected and bugger me if it didn't work!! I rang back and connected with Copenhagen. The guy had ALL details on his PC from the lady and went right through it all again. We never found out what the problem was, but it is working now and has NOT stopped working since!! He also helped me to set up something else while I was on the phone which was TOTALLY unconnected with the Wi Fi set up and was not a BELKIN part!! This took a further 1.5 hours. i altogether spent around 5 hours on the phone, it cost me nothing!! I would rate BELKIN as THE best company I have ever come across at any time in my short life!! And that was not all!! the guy rang me back next day to ensure that the set up was still working!!! service? They wrote the book and will not let anyone else see it I reckon!!

So there you go mate!! Hope that is of some help and best of British it all!! In fact if you want a plug in card for a laptop I have one spare as I didn't use it in the end!!

The Hub is a BELKIN model No f5d7630-4a USB is still in France at present, but it cost £29.95 as I say and is a bit like a USB memory stick if you know what they look like? And has a lead and stand for the USB thing to stick in or it will plug straight into the laptop etc. But I broke the first one and so now use the lead configuration!!

Good Luck!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))