apparently I'm configured to maximum potential :confused:

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nursey

No wonder our scanner doesn't work. 64 Mb is simply not enough memory to support scanning. As I posted earlier, my PC was 64 Mb and when I bought a scanner it would do nothing. However a simple memory upgrade adding 256 Mb and it is perfectly acceptable.

How old is your PC? What operating system do you run? Are you thinking of getting a new one soon.

Extra memory should only cost about £20 - £40, but you have to install it, which means opening up the PC. Normally it's easy, but it can be awkward. Probably best to get a friend or relative who knows to do it.

Alternatively PC world will do it, but charge for fitting. You could end up paying up to £90 in total with them.

Check out memory costs for your PC at http://www.crucial.com/uk/index.asp

my poor computer is a Compaq Presario MV700

its about 6/7 years old ..it has a pentium chip what ever that its?

I used windows 98

I would love a new computer but don't really think I can justify a new one,would love a laptop!!!there is only me using it apart from Trev and his 3D jigsaw....

Is it difficult to operate on a computer,I can wear mask/gloves and an apron!!!!

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

Judy, 64MB is a bit 'skinny' but I have a good scanner working on W98 and 128MB memory so it may be possible to get it going.

With any USB device always load the software before pluging the new beastie in.

What is the 'error message' you get?

It may be you don't have enough Hard Disk drive space for the software?

Good luck

Tog

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

Hmmmm. Based on my similar experience with a PC the same age and similar spec, I still think you'll struggle with 64 MB. I didn't get any error messages - it just completely ground to halt after you scanned an image or two.

Tog's got a good point about drive space for software though as you said

quote:

Afraid to say I have admitted defeat!! I kept getting an error message when trying to install!!!

Did you ever solve this install error?

Go into my computer, right click on the C: drive. Does it look something like this :

cdrive.jpg

How much free space do you have?

Here are the minimum system requirements, as stated by HP, for that model:

System requirements, minimum

USB-compatible PC with Microsoft® Windows® 98, 98 SE, 2000, Me, XP Professional and Home Edition; PC with Intel Pentium® II 233 MHz processor, Celeron or compatible; 225 MB free hard disk space; 64 MB RAM; Microsoft Windows Internet Explorer 5.0 or later; 800 x 600 16-bit color SVGA monitor; CD-ROM drive; HP Memories Disc Creator requires a CD-Writer and 700 MB additional free hard disk space

Ian.