Emails from myself to myself??

Colin Brett

be careful of those links to remove yourself from lists, I've seem a lot of circumstantial evidence that a lot of them are simply a way of collecting email addresses that are proven to read spam, and will only increase the amount you get.

Mat

[ 11. January 2005, 11:24 PM: Message edited by: Mat Hillman ]

Mat

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use Mailwasher pro but because of the amount of spam I get it's difficult to spot the genuine emails. So I end up searching through the subjects just to make sure I don't delete useful mail.

And I thought it was illegal to send out spam!

I know! Lots of things are illegal but they still go on.

Colin

This is a tactic employed by spammers to get through spam filters

One sure firer way of telling where the emails originate from is to view the message header.

In Outlook express right click on the message Properties>Details

In outlook 2000 + right click Options

This will tell you where the email has originated from regardless of how the spammer tries to hide the sender

FearTheHands.gif

Knowing my luck if I were a buddhist I'd come back as myself ...

Did that and this is what I got. Do I take it that the first line is the spammers address ?

Its also addressed to someone called jurgen@btclick.com. How does it get to my email address in that case ?

Return-Path: <fwoecapf@t500.com>

Delivery-Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 23:09:12 +0000

Received: from c2bthomr04.btconnect.com (actually host 212.73.73.194.in-addr.arpa) by dswu28.btconnect.com with SMTP-IBMR (XT-PP) with ESMTP; Tue, 11 Jan 2005 23:09:10 +0000

Received: from 194.73.73.216 ([218.106.76.53])

by c2bthomr04.btconnect.com (MOS 3.5.4-GR)

with SMTP id AKZ28814;

Tue, 11 Jan 2005 22:29:46 GMT

Received: from symbiotic.asiaone.com.sg ([213.130.63.235])

by luminous.mcn.org (Sun Java System Messaging Server 6.1 HotFix 0.00 (built Aug 25 2004)) with ESMTP id <0H5C00UH602XO57@luminous.mcn.org> for

jurgen@btclick.com (ORCPT jurgen@btclick.com); Wed, 12 Jan 2005 01:59:06 +0300 (IST)

Received: from buoyant

(talisman.asiaone.com.sg ([212.98.228.212])

by symbiotic.asiaone.com.sg (MOS 3.5.5-GR) with ESMTP id DET47462 (AUTH crumple) ; Wed, 12 Jan 2005 03:03:06 +0400 (IST)

Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 17:59:06 -0500

To: <jurgen@btclick.com>

Subject: *SPAM?* steaming St0ck - it's c|imbing

X-Old-Subject: steaming St0ck - it's c|imbing

Message-ID: <789738468805.MGJ04524@metamorphose.mcn.org>

MIME-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"

Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit

X-Junkmail: UCE(98)

X-Junkmail-Status: score=98/90, host=c2bthomr04.btconnect.com

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Spent a very satisfying 20 mins setting up an auto delete and auto redirect of all of this guys spam.....back to him. I also included every other bit of spam that came my way. His stuff now goes in an automatic loop from his outbox to his inbox.

Go to 'Message' in the tool bar if you're using Internet Express. Click on 'create rule from message'

In the first box tick 'where the subject line contains specific words' untick everything else.

In the second box tick 'Delete it'

In the third box tick 'contains specific words.

In th pop up box type 'Elene' its case sensitive so make sure you type it exactly as you see it.

'Add'and 'OK' and that should be that.

If you wish to change or delete it at any time go to 'tools' 'message rules' 'modify' and then back to 'OK'

Well done argyll :D you've employed a tactic that I use as well which can be quite effective.

Sometimes a header won't always reveal the originators email address as more often than not the emails will come from a mailing list script on a web server.

I had to investigate spamming from someone for a company I used to work for & was able to have his ISP officially take action against him as we could prove that the email originated from his server. 99% of things on the web are traceable if you know where to look

The "return path" in a header or email is only what you actually put into you mail program settings. Unfortunately it's very easy to appear to be someone else to the unwitting recipient ...

You can also setup a rule which will bombard the the spammer with his own em,ail each time it is sent 100 times if you like by adding him as Courtesy Copy 99 times.

FearTheHands.gif

Knowing my luck if I were a buddhist I'd come back as myself ...