20GB Hard Drive in Win 98 SE

Johnny Boy

I suspect I am aiming this one in Newts direction, but here goes to allcomers.............

I have an old machine in for repair, and the owner wants me to fit a 20 GB HDD. The motherboard is an unknown, and its BIOS doesnt recognise the disk properly. I need something like On Track Disk Manager, but I cannot find a free download for it. Does anybody know of a suitable alternative, preferably free, that will allow me to fit the large drive, and use its full capacity?

Thanks to all in advance of any replies.

W98 'large disk' probs are 32MB+, 20GB should be fine as long as the motherboard copes.

Maxtor and most other hdd makers usea 'boot overlay' routine which allows most bios to cope with the 2-32GB drives that used to cause probs.

The HDD you have should have a similar jobby available on the net somewhere.

May be worth running 'everest' or similar to get the full specs on the machine before starting out.

I have an old 2GB HDD I use to boot on 'dodgy' PC's - I prove the hardware all works ok & then install the 'real' hdd as the slave.

Do whatevers needed from my 'surrogate' (format - partition-install OS etc) then when done I can swap the 'real' hdd back in as master and boot from that, sure speeds things up not having to use a w98 boot floppy.

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

Cheers Guys, but, short of stripping the MB out of the box, and finding an FCC number, its unmarked.

Ive checked Fujitsu's Website, and they will sell me OnTrack Disk Manager for $25. I am trying to avoid this !

I have also tried the Cylinders, Heads, Sectors, in the Bios, and it gives me 8.4 GB instead of 20.49 GB.

the software comes (if its a new one )on the drive ,if its second hand and an old machine probably best to use as you say disk manager ,i find t strange they wish to charge for this software ,i have several versions and if you wish will see if i can find fujitsu version ,it will be several years old (when motherboards were stupid ) but small enough to attach to an email if you want ,i would first though do a search and i'm sure a version without the fee will be available out there.

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Thanks again, People.

@Chesters1

I have searched, and everything seems to point to having to pay for Disk Manager.

If it was a new HDD, it might have had it, but I am doing a salvage job for someone who (for whatever reason) does not want to pay!

If you could have a look for a Fujitsu version, and send it to me, I would be greatly in your debt, Sir!

If you do find one, PM me, and Ill send you my E-mail address. Thanks a lot.

you have mail

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

have you tried the mobo manufacturer site to see if theres a bios update most can do it online now without having to revert to floppys just done my bros old gigabyte board its 6 years old it can now take athlone 1.8 xp + 100 gb hdd.

good luck in your endevors

pete

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif