Windows 8.1

n4lly

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine keeps popping up with the message its available but following the link to the apps its not there.

I wonder if theres a special way of upgrading non standard versions ,if its a huge download perhaps not finding it is better for my snail speed broadband

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Mine keeps popping up with the message its available but following the link to the apps its not there.

I wonder if theres a special way of upgrading non standard versions ,if its a huge download perhaps not finding it is better for my snail speed broadband

Click link to App store.

Needed to sign in, had to email a code (as not used the store before) typed in the code and straight there.

Not sure how big the download is, let it do its self over night.

You get Start back and easy access to control panel etc.

1509tarpon_75_.gif

3.5 gig.

You need a certified Microsoft windiws 8 account to download it from the store app

Got you ...

Cant leave it on overnight its in the bedroom and its not a quiet machine!

Looking at my passwords book (dont worry the routes to private / money stuff is not in it)i appear to have a microsoft account ,i obviously had to get one downloading something or other but i never use it on using my machine as i dont use whatever it is?

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• 2 weeks later...

just partitioned and installed windows 7 with dual boot on a friends machine because windows 8.1 was a gigantic pain in the arse to use trying to get a vinyl cutter setup, something about the apps or ads on dashboard interfering with other software (yes im a bit dubious about that myself).

The amount of times I pressed the windows logo to be put back to that stupid arse dash board thing. finding your way around too was an epic battle.

with all other versions of windows things were much the same and transition from one to the newer one was easy as it was easy to find what you wanted.

windows 8 seems unfinished. I wont ever be using it.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

its the "shell shock" transition that's the killer!

it is different and in ways its kind of two systems in one that never quite work as well as they should.

but there are some handy features that work exceptionally well.

I make a point of early adoption so I can learn the ins and outs ready for the inevitable repairs and fixes that will be coming into the office. so far the majority of issues have simply been incompatibility with old hardware or software or malware issues. We've seen a couple of issues with specific wifi chipsets but the rest has been hardware issues instead of anything I could honestly blame windows 8 or 8.1 for.

having said that windows 8 isn't set up for decent usage of proxy server throughout the system which will be a major headache for company and business adoption if they use proxy servers; 8.1 alleviates the issues somewhat but is still nowhere near as network friendly as windows 7....and as you've said; the apps need to integrate far more into the windows side of things because they feel disjointed and separated.

still have to say im pleased with my choice to change up to it and its played perfectly fine with my systems.

Kiri,

Now after 4 - 5 days I'm not 100% pleased with 8.1. It makes a lot of assumptions that I know what I'm doing (i.e. use a cell phone).

I "updated" today as instructed 8.1 to 8.1 (?) and LOST my ability to cut and paste with IE?

I'm going to have to learn as it is my custom to sit farther from the screen than arms reach. Some functions work FAR better with the touch screen feature than using a mouse.

Phone

Phone - more likely a problem with the version of IE-11 that you got with the Win8 > Win8.1 upgrade. Details on the waterlilly thread.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President