Windows 8.1

n4lly

Earlier than that ,my first pc was a IBM XT and after doubling the speed by substituting an 16?mhz crystal i upgraded the mobo to an AT which broke the 540k? (its a long time ago) memory barrier ,,the 286 was the next step i think.windows for workgroups made it far easier to install modems printers and most things you take for granted now .

I first went online though with a spectrum a little earlier but the 386 processor and 3.11 made it go from geek to normal man once it was installed.

I remember the excitement a faster cpu made now its a necessity just to keep up with the software releases,luckily back then working in the uni helped keep me up to speed now i upgrade when the pc takes more than a few seconds to turn around in a game

Playing on the labs lan and doom was probably the most fun ever ,now its hardened unforgiving gamers swearing online now and the funs gone

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And Cyrix chips were available!!

My first pc was pentium 2 though. Slot a!

Has a meaty 4 gig hdd and an s3 virtue video card coupled with a voodoofx gpu!

Think my first big game was quake 2!

3.11 workstation and 486 CPUs I learned build and repair on when I first started in my techie repair job.

Took me a year to afford the pentium 2 system!

I'd had a spectrum+....and an Amiga which I'd installed a hdd and a Floating Point Unit in!

Edited by kirisute

4 gig ,blimey

My biggest in the pile of external scsi1 drives. Was a 300mb drive that cost 3grand a was in its heyday the labs server disk

The rest i repaired out of the skip ,they were big enough then to take apart and oil the moving parts !

It was still going when i chucked it away ,nowadays despite our technology a couple of years and they start declining , i think my first hard drive was a hefty 10mb and the monitor green with green on green

I was given an IBM 8? Colour monitor so i splashed out on a game ,heady days

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson