Internet Explorer doesn't work for long

Steve Burke

Slashley, I don't have the answer to you and steves problem, maybe newt will pop in, but i would suggest

finding a linux live distribution (a complete operating system on a disk or usbkey, as a backup that gets you on the internet when your main system fails - least its easy to ask for help that way.

I know damn all about comps but works for me and has

got me out of trouble a couple of times now.

Good luck , Chris

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Chris. Thanks for the help mate. I will keep a copy of your information for the future.

I got my computer brand new from some friends who own an IT company, so in the end I had to rteurn it to them. The man looked it over for a couple of hours and found over one hundred spyware and virus problems.It turned out that the Norton antivirus I had appeared to be operating but was in fact out of date. I was also running the latest AVG, Spybot Search and Destroy and as stated earlier, Zone Alarm free.

I was ignorant of the problem with Norton so this had been going on for some months. I was told by him that some people have even been getting fake messages telling them to uninstall their Norton, so as to hopefully gain access.

He managed to remove everything except one problem, so he asked my permission to wipe the thing and rebuild it from scratch. I only really surf the net, so don't keep loads of info. on the pc. so I said yes. Got it back the next day and everything is fine.Thanks once again. -- Slashley...........

Hi all,

In most cases of IE freezing the cause is a java application problem, in most Microsoft operating systems there is a little programme called "Microsoft VM" (virtual machine)which IE needs to browse the internet. So a re-load of your latest service packs should solve this problem, UNLESS you are an XP user!!!

Now as Max Bygraves once said "I wanna tell you a story"

This little programme called VM was not written by microsoft, it was written by SUN microsystems who took microsoft to court and won thier claim.

So as a consequence microsoft has to remove this programme from thier XP operating systems hence the release of service pk 1a and sp2.

How to find out what you have!

go to a command prompt!

type in jview

should look like what is below

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:Documents and Settingsjview

Microsoft ® Command-line Loader for Java Version 5.00.3810

Copyright © Microsoft Corp 1996-2000. All rights reserved.

Usage: JView [options] <classname> [arguments]

Options:

/? displays usage text

/cp <classpath> set class path

/cp:p <path> prepend path to class path

/cp:a <path> append path to class path

/n <namespace> namespace in which to run

/p pauses before terminating if an error occurs

/v verify all classes

/d:<name>=<value> define system property

/a execute AppletViewer

/vst print verbose stack traces (requires debug classes)

/prof[:options] enable profiling (/prof:? for help)

Classname:

.CLASS file to be executed.

Arguments:

command-line arguments to be passed on to the class file

C:Documents and Settings

Please take carefull note of the Command-line Loader for Java

should be:-Version 5.00.3810

Sun microsystems have on their web site the new VM programme ready for download, but i have no details of this at this time.

If you need any help i will only be too pleased to try and help!

MEL.

PS:- Sorry for the long post.

If you can lie on the floor without holding on, then you’re not drunk.

I Can Only Please One Person A Day, Today Isn't Your Day, Tomorrow Isn't Looking Good Either.

Thanks melpen - and welcome to the Forum.

You say go to a command prompt. Unfortunately, being totally thick when it comes to computers, I've no idea what this means or how to do it.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Click on the start button, click on run, key in cmd, click on OK. You will get an ugly black screen with white lettering.

For any still running 95/98/ME, you would need to click on start, on run, key in command and click OK.

With newer systems (2000/XP/2003) that will still produce a window but an older version that doesn't work as well.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Guest jay_con

Have you guys tried the community at steve gibsons grc.com ? Lots of techheads there.

Basically - Bin IE it is the source of all evil. Far too exploitable. I switched to FF 6 months ago and have never looked back. Unfortunatelty you cant delete IE, but take it off your desktop which will help resist the urge to use it.

Have you tried using programs like addaware and spybot to try rid your Pc of this evil?

Guest jay_con

Spyware blaster is another good 1. It stops evil from getting in in the first place.

Firefox is a free browser which can be downloaded and installed in mins from the mozzilla website.

Thanks as usual, Newt. Will have a look after the weekend.

Winter: I regularly run adaware and spybot, plus Norton's AV is on auto update. All clean.

As we run several web sites we're got to have IE workin, so I'm reluctant to try another browser which could create additional problems.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net