Internet Explorer v Firefox

melpen

I have been using IE or netscape or Eudora for many years because i could not find anything better for my PC setup(which is quite extreme)but all had the same prob,i dont think IE is SMP compatable. ie.

(Symmetric Multiprocessing, a computer architecture that provides fast performance by making multiple CPUs available to complete individual processes simultaneously (multiprocessing). Unlike asymmetrical processing, any idle processor can be assigned any task, and additional CPUs can be added to improve performance and handle increased loads. A variety of specialized operating systems and hardware arrangements are available to support SMP. Specific applications can benefit from SMP if the code allows multithreading.)

Decided to give Firefox a try & i must admit seems to function in SMP mode, further tests are required, will let you know.

MEL :)

If you can lie on the floor without holding on, then you’re not drunk.

I Can Only Please One Person A Day, Today Isn't Your Day, Tomorrow Isn't Looking Good Either.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi melpen, welcome to AN :) . For the technically backward like me could you translate that a bit please? :D

Do you think FF or IE is better for the average user browsing the net, sending email etc...

How long do you think before FF starts getting hit with the same tidal wave of adware etc that IE is atm?

Cheers, Chris

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Hi Jaffa,

Not an easy question to answer! alot of it depends on your PC setup.

ie:- what security software you have,firewall, antivirus etc.

all browsers are vulnarable to attacks and so is your operating system, some are built in deliberatly .

alot of popups can be stopped by your isp but they just can`t be bothered, freeserve is the worst.

How do popups work?

Well what happens is when you visit a web site that has been attacked, even when the owner dosn`t even know, a small programme is downloaded to your PC, it can hide anywhere, so when you connect to the internet or at given time frames this small programme goes out and retrieves the advert. That is why ADAWARE is so good at removing popups, it recognises these small programmes & removes them, but it does not stop them getting into your computer, this is where you need a popup blocker!

My daughter just had broadband installed she had no security software installed & she could not use her computer too many popups.

Security now installed she gets none.

MEL.

I Can Only Please One Person A Day, Today Isn't Your Day, Tomorrow Isn't Looking Good Either.

melpen - what OS are you running and how many processors?

Not SMP/Multithreading (so, in English and will make sense to non-tech folks) but an interesting IE vs. Firefox thread Here.

[ 27. February 2005, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi newt,

yes sorry i sometimes find it difficult to understand what i`m talking about. :D

I`m running XP pro with dual AMD MP2800 with Satellite downlink. on a MSI k7 master L M/B,

& 1 gig crucial RAM (PC100) & many extra`s

MEl.

Little hotter than mine. :D

OTOH, most of what I do at home is low impact stuff so plenty of ram and the slower single processor does me pretty well - for now.

Now you've gotten me interested though. Gotta find out why two browsers using the same core engine react so differently to a PC that sounds like it is set up for smp & hyperthreading. Hmmmm.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Not sure at the moment, i must admit that my software knowledge is limited, but my sat drivers & software is full of dll`s & proxies active ports HTTP channel bundling etc.

Norton internet security 2004 hates it, have managed to configure it, but took a long time.

On the other hand!! Being totally dumb when such references are being bandied about and not knowing any better I will ask the question!!

Why when I loaded Firefox (and ALL my settings were transferred from IE) why can I NOT find my IE SPELL THEN!!!! I have to go back to IE to check my spelling on any posts.

(And you all thought I was a perfect spiller didn't you??)

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Hiya,

Sadly only Internet Explorer supports IE Spell and there aint a spelling plugin available for Fire Fox as yet

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.