Internet Explorer v Firefox

melpen

j_s:

Firefox for me every time, it blows IE out of the water! IE does not render html and css scripts properly for starters   :(

No annoying pop up adverts (not adware but legit popups from websites).

Tab browsing

Much quicker to load a webpage although Firefox is slower to begin with when first started up.

I'm sure i have more reasons but those will do to start with.

Pardon?? What was all that about??

I want to view pages is all!! And for me IE is still better than Fiefox! Oh yes and the spellchecker?? I have WELL given up on that!! Sorry but for me if it aint broke!!! And despite what you are going to say it is NOT broke!! Just it doesn't suit all tastes!! I proved that one. :P

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firefox for me, and Thunderbird.

Trouble with popups is that some clever b*****d will always come up with a way of circumventing whatever countermeasures are in place. FF is much better than IE in this regard though, and for the time being much less prone to attack than IE from other nasties. And hopefully always less riddled with security holes.

It seems to be a matter of personal taste. I have IE and Firefox on my computer but having tried Firefox, I now use IE all the time. I don't get any pop-ups or or other irritations because I have all the usual devices loaded to prevent them.

I only keep Ff on my system because my girlfriend finds it more agreeable. Horses for courses I suppose.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

the main pro's of firefox for me are the tabbed browsing (no more multiple windows open) and the download manager, neither of which are things IE even offers. the improved security etc are just bonuses as far as i'm concerned

I agree with you Peter (Sorry about that:-)) I am not getting all I expected from FF and am using IE more than that. It DOES have some nice features. But I still think IE is ok. I don't get ANY pop-ups other than those I wish to get AT ALL!! so in that respect alone IE must be better?!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Guest NickInTheNorth

The three features which make me a total devotee of FF are:

1.) Tabbed browsing - no longer do I need to open lots of windows for lots of pages, they are all available from one window instantly.

2.) Download maanger - simply brilliant.

3.) It's not made by Microsoft. :D

I personally find the whole FF experience infinitely more pleasing.

But each to there own.

And having now tried spellbound, i am just well spellbound.

And I forgot to mention it's fantastic search bar which allows you to select which serach engines to use from a simple drop down list. (You can add over 200 engines!)

[ 06. March 2005, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: NickInTheNorth ]

Why are tabs better than multiple windows? I can't tell any difference.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.