MSN messenger & viruses

Happy Dude

hi folks,

my son has started to use msn messenger with his pals recently and although i have completely up to date norton i found a rake of trojans and viruses in my machine.

could they have come from his friends computers via the messaging system??

thanks

les

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

WalkingPinhead.gif

Guest jay_con

You can also application share through msn which can be a bad idea if you dont check the received files with a virus checker. If he's swapping music, games etc with friends using the app sharing facility in msn this may also be the cause of your problem.

aye winter, thats where the crap came from i suspect, his mate sent him a football song via MSN and it was after this norton found them when i switched my machine on.

he's been well warned.......now!!

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

WalkingPinhead.gif

I have to say [yet again] That I hve NEVER had a problem with anything whilst running AVG. I [sorry about this but] REST MY CASE.

And yes I do run MSN too.

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Guest jay_con

Chris you think you dont have any problems. AVG cannot detect all virus. I had 1 the other week called msshed. Nothing picked it up. I found it in my start up menu - talked to the guys at grc.com who confirmed what it was and helped me get rid, I had to delete it from my registry manually.

Avg will deal with what it knows - But it dont know everything. Take a look in start up menu and see if there is anything strange in there.

happy dude

my niece had msn on her pc it took 7 hours to get rid of 6 viruses + a truck load of spyware ,

i have since removed any access to msn changed her account to limited passworded just about everything on her pc that can be passworded ,the only administrator is her dad that was 10 weeks back she moans about not being able to use msn like her friends,

5 of wich now have pc's with problems i have refused to fix them there parents say its not therefault that they got virus on there pc's 1 offerd me £50.00 to get rid of the viruses i said not unless they dump msn messenger ,

i told them that the ere pc's antivirus & firewalls where not updated enough they won't take my advice so let them got to a pc repair shop who will charge a minimum of £75.00 to clean there systems with no gaurantee that they will not get reinfected.

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

Aye! Taken onboard! But what I should add is that I reckon I know what I am doing as well and don't click willie nilly on any old bit of code etc!! But yes I do agree that AVG like anything else has it's limitations!! But I stand by it 101% and say that in 5 or 6 years of using it I have never had a problem!! It's the knobheads who are clicking on messges from barclays bank etc., who need help and I don't mean just flippin anti virus!!

But look on the down side! You could be running Norton!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Guest jay_con

LOl Chris. I was once one of those knobheads. But many virus' later Im a little bit less of a knobhead

(There will be those who disagree - but not everyone can be perfect). I think grc.com do a program called

Kill the messanger which will stop it starting in your start menu without your permission. I may be wrong about that though.