Business Broadband Again

Elton

I have broadband at home, on the 2mbps thingy. Fine.

Got it installed at work, which is about a mile away. On the same exchange, but not as near as my house is to it.

Unfortunately, they only offered the 500 whatever one.

So, how come it seems a lot faster using the laptop at work than it does using a higher spec desktop at home? :confused:

I'm not complaining - having fast broadband access in a rural Suffolk goatshed wouldn't have been dreamed about a year ago....but that's what I've got :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

is the work one a better contention ratio?

ie work 20-1 home 50-1 ? or something like that?

newer better phone line at work?

i am currently wondering if they are doing away with the 512 broadband as i have been told mine will be upgraded to 1meg this spring or summer,and i have seen others on here are getting upgrades.

later guys i`m going fishing

its probably down to the line to your goatshed

our broadband went down last weekend and has been patchy all week, the engineers found it was due to the dodgy quality of the lines between us and the exchange.

pinky, all BT customers are being upgraded to 2mb this year, if their line will support it

is that an unlimited download then jeepster?or 2gig limit?

i am currently with pipex which is unlimited and they are doing away with 512 and starting at 1mb.

could have a 2mb but i am too tight to pay for it.

later guys i`m going fishing

The engineer at the goatshed said that the line test he did showed that it was a really good connection, so that would explain it a bit. However, you'd still expect the home one to be faster.

I'm not gonna complain - I'm loving it at work now!

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Probably due to contention as Pinky says;

Your Business line will have a max ratio of 20-1

Your home 50-1 ?

That means at home you could be sharing the ADSL line with 50 others unless your home connection is also a business one.

And if your as rural as you say the work line may well be only 5:1

It could be a firewall / crud issue with the home desktop PC,

What about trying your laptop on the line at home? That would show if it's the crud in your desktop machine that's slowing it down.

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.