Cataract surgery

Ken L

I had a viterectomy and retial repair a few years back and was warned that I would most likely develop a cataract at some point in the future.

I recently I noticed a rather dramatic reduction in my vision and on Tuesday, I spent the day in hospital hoping that it wasn't the retina which would most likely have resulted in me being admitted in the run up to Christmas.

I got a red ticket at triage which is rarely a good sign and initial tests showed that my visual acuity in the right eye has dropped from 6/5 to 6/18 (Snellen) which was not great news.

Further tests rulled out the retina as the source of the problem along with things like glaucoma and sure enough I have a cataract.

I was offered surgery right away but declined for a variety of reasons and the consultant has written to my GP to give me an open invitation to have a knife stuck in my eye.

Has anyone had the surgery?

If so:

How unpleasant is the procedure?

How long is the recovery?

I currently (cataract notwithstanding) got near perfect vision - am I likely to need glasses afterwards?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will it be a knife? I think most of that sort of thing is done with a laser and is pretty quick, painless, with a short recovery time.

Its surprising that a cataract problem would develop suddenly. They are usually fairly gradual.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Mate of mine was rushed in to hospital with sudden loss of vision in his left eye. First thoughts were that it was a stroke, but quickly diagnosed as a cataract! HE WAS KEPT IN AND DEALT WITH THE NEXT DAY AND HOME THE DAY AFTER.

Vision back to normal almost immediately. Told not to drive for a few days.

This happened about 3 months ago.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Will it be a knife? I think most of that sort of thing is done with a laser and is pretty quick, painless, with a short recovery time.

Its surprising that a cataract problem would develop suddenly. They are usually fairly gradual.

Apparently the most common method is a tiny incision and then they use an ultrasonic probe to destroy the lens (which is comnmonly mistaken for a laser) before sucking out the bits and inserting an artificial lens,

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

You MIGHT need glasses afterwards Ken. It would be a good idea to go for an eye test after 6 months or so. Don't lose the certificate they give you after the procedure. You'll need it when you have your next eye test.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I think the small incision is often (usually?) done with a laser and the rest is as you say.

I'm probably going to have the procedure done in a few months - both eyes. My problem is not that the cataracts are interfering with vision to any extent but they are making me so glare sensitive that sunny days are unpleasant even with good sun glasses and night driving is getting difficult.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I was asked about glare but to be honest, it's not been a big issue. What I do get is a triple image. Most of the time, it just makes things bury but if I look at a single point of light like Venus or Jupiter with just my right eye, I see three bright spots, not one. Most strange...

I have had both eyes operated on due to cataracts and, I wore Glasses before but now no longer need them.

I was operated on by the national Health at Rochdale Infirmary for the left eye, went in at 11-30am, had drops put in my eye every 15 minutes then after

Two hours went for the operation, A device like a cup is placed over your eye to hold sterile water then two injections into sides of your eye sockets ( you don't feel them due to the drops you've had ) then a jet of fine water is used to clean eye. then small cut made at the side of your eye then the cataract is removed with the lens

and a new lens slid back in the eye ( you will be measured for your lens on one of your pre op visits. back out and going home after 4 hrs.

You will have to put drops in your eye after your operation for 14 days then go back for a follow up check up, I then had lazer treatment for a bit of residue left in my eye ( No problem it does not hurt ) then I had the right eye done at Fairfield General Hospital in Bury 5 mths later by the same team, same procedure but no lazer on right eye this time.

its been nearly 18 months since and I have perfect vision in both eyes and can read a book with out the need of Glasses, got to go back i4th Feb to be signed off.

I would recommend that you have it done soonest, you will be amazed at the result. Honest.

Dave

Always good to get first hand information. Thank you.

Thanks for that Dave. I can't see me asking for the referral before April but it's always good to hear positive stories.

I need to track down a dental nurse that i used to know who had both eyes done about 10 years ago to see what she thinks of the long tterm outcome.

I do know that she complertely freaked out and had to have a general anestetic but that's not the bit I'm interested in.