How to design web pages for all monitors?

JackPike

I ,ve built a website for my local club full of bugs but thats a winters job a problem I have is trying to make pages to suit all different size monitors the pages seem OK on my monitor but on smaller ones the text goes out of alignment.Anyway I,ve built this website by only working on it a couple of hours each week and just a beginner in web design hers the addie

www.southportangling.co.uk

He who simply trys, Is not trying hard enuff

Wouldn't you use % rather than px?

px will take up 700 pixels no matter what resolution. But % will resize to take up a percentage of the screen.

However, the only proper way to do it is to make a version for each resolution.

These days, you just can't know what size browser window your visitors are using - anything from a phone display to a big monitor. While 700px might feel nice and safe - fits in 800x600 easy and you can be fairly sure of your layout - a visitor with a maximised browser on a 1280x1024 monitor might feel a bit short-changed, so variable-width is the way to go.

Try laying out your page content in a table within the main table. (And I know purists deprecate tables these days!) For example, in 'about.htm', you can control the positioning of the two little photos and the paragraph of text better using a table with two rows, the top row split into two cells and the bottom one full-width cell. Put the pictures in the two top row cells and the text in the bottom full-width cell.

Oh, and on that page, do have a look at some of the <span> tags - they are a bit messed up! And give your styles some meaningful names - it'll make your life easier.