PC Audio Problems

Paul_D

I don't know what happened to it but my Hard drive was trashed for some reason. I have replaced it and slowly the computer is coming back together. But...I can't get any sound out of it at the moment. System information shows the sound device greyed out. I've opened the tower to make sure everything is seated and plugged up and all seems well. I think that I don't have a separate sound card but utilises the motherboard (an Elite L4S5MG3).

What I'd like one of you PC Gurus to tell me if you would is it possible that all I need is an Audio Driver download for it to fix the problem....not that I can find one? Thanks.

Paul

Guest jay_con

Well not wanting to state the obvious but if you have no driver you have no sound. Do you not have the motherboard disc or audio disc as the driver should be on there.

If you look at device manager in the system part of control panel, a big yellow question mark next to the audio area will signify you have no driver. If there is no question mark I think im right in saying the driver is present and your problem stems from else where.

Double clicking on the yellow question mark with the motherbord disc in the drive should locate and install the driver.

Having said all that I may be wrong but dont think I am.

Try looking through these for a driver

http://search.ntlworld.com/ntlworld/search...er&cr=&x=46&y=3

[ 28. August 2005, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: @SUMMER@ ]

Cheers Summer,

I don't have said Disk. All that came with the PC was a recovery disk which hasn't installed the driver (if that is what is missing), and MS Works 7 disk which I didn't want to re-install, but have...just in case.

What I meant but put badly, was that if I go to 'control panel' > 'sounds, speech & audio devices' > 'sounds and audio devices'....the first page there indicates there is no audio device available. I think that my audio comes from the motherboard and not a separate card so would installing the driver if I could find it sort the problem out?.....I flippin' hate computers...lol.

Cheers for the link anyway...off to have a look at it now.

Paul

Guest jay_con
Paul_D:

Cheers Summer,

I don't have said Disk. All that came with the PC was a recovery disk which hasn't installed the driver (if that is what is missing), and MS Works 7 disk which I didn't want to re-install, but have...just in case.

What I meant but put badly, was that if I go to 'control panel' > 'sounds, speech & audio devices' > 'sounds and audio devices'....the first page there indicates there is no audio device available. I think that my audio comes from the motherboard and not a separate card so would installing the driver if I could find it sort the problem out?.....I flippin' hate computers...lol.

Cheers for the link anyway...off to have a look at it now.

Yes if you have no driver installing one will make

the audio work. This is the case for on board sound. Using device manager and double clicking on the yellow question mark is a good way to install the driver. I think there may even be a way of getting device manager to search the net for your driver.

Thanks for that Ian. Your link didn't work but a bit of googling found a free download of the driver (should have thought of going direct to Realtek). Unfortunately it's still not working though despite the audio device now showing as installed.....back to the drawing board...bugger!

Paul

Guest jay_con

have you got the speakers in the right socket?

or sound on mute? or even the speakers turned off? I know that sounds silly but ive been guilty of all 3 before today

haha...Yep, triple checked all that Summer.

Paul

1. Make sure on board sound is enabled in BIOS

2. Make sure Windows is fully updated with SP2 amd all the latest updates.

3. Make sure you have the latest sound drivers.

4. In device manager, remove anything to do with audio and reboot, let Windows install the drivers on restart.

5. Try a different pair of speakers (or headphones).