ie 11 for windows 7

Klaus

Hello

Anyone using ie 11 with windows 7 ? thought that I successfully dowloaded it but not so. still on ie 9 which seems to have some glitches now and again, anybody any clues how to get ie 11 working.

Thanks

Klaus

It might work better to upgrade to IE10 and then select to automatically update which should get you IE11 in a week or three.

Note that if you use IE and Ebay, you do not want IE11 just yet since it won't play nice with Ebay for creating new listings unless you set it to compatibility mode for Ebay pages.

Also, you need to make sure your Win7 is running Service Pack 1.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Good morning Newt

tried to get ie10 months ago, that didnt happen either maybe I will try that version again. I thought that it successfully downloaded as it did run and showed the installation bar loading (ie11). Strange thing computers sometimes

Klaus

from personal experience I would lay off of IE 11 for awhile anyway...on windows 7 or 8 its just not being picked up quickly enough with support from various websites...whether its the websites fault or the browsers fault is yet to be seen...but its annoying as hell! LOL!

I managed to "upgrade" from 9 to 10, but it's not very clever as it repeatedly removes usernames from sites, such as AN, Ebay, Nectar and many others at random intervals. Microsoft proudly announce on TV adverts that they look after users security. Some forums attribute it to a conflict with Norton (which I use), others have instructions to edit the Registry. I have the "upgrade" for 11 sitting on my Upload Center queue, but I have not installed it as again on various forums there are problems which in some instances lead to a complete reinstall from Win 7 upwards. Also apparently many websites are not compatible, so one has to run in compatibility mode, which to me makes a nonsense of upgrading

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

Well, on the plus side it takes only a second or two to set a site up to be run in compatibility mode in IE. The option has been there since about version 9 I think. The usual process is to try a web site and if it behaves strangely, click the icon to switch it to compatibility mode (make it see your IE as a version older than it is).

For what its worth and I stand to be corrected but I've avoided Norton for the past few years. I'd sooner wear a hair shirt in high summer or fish with dull hooks.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Norton is one of the only products I will actively seek to discourage people from using on a regular basis; every single incarnation of it on a personal computer is without doubt a major pain in the rear! if it isn't right now..it will be in the near future!!

360 slows things to a crawl, internet security decides to filter/ban whatever it wants as and when it wants including the entire OS on occasions....the products, at least for the home user, are utterly utterly dire!!!

commercial products by Symantec are fine on a whole though....go figure!!

standard procedure for any new laptop I set up is to first and foremost remove Norton or Mcaffee!! LOL

annoying thing in ie11 is that they have removed the compatibility quick button.....now you have to add it into the compatibility site list.......classic MS thought process of making things harder to find rather than easier!

I have Norton paid for until November 2014. If I let it expire, what do you suggest as a replacement, as I only have Internet security. It is also on my lad's laptop which runs Win 8, so that will also need a replacement

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

in all honesty I would recommend either Avast or AVG....both are free and both are more than reasonable at doing the job they do.

combine them with malwarbytes and ccleaner run once a month and unless you do something vastly silly then chances are you will be fine