Two hard drives ?

Cranfield

I have heard mention of having two hard drives, to keep photographs, music, notes etc on.

Therefore if one crashes you still have the information on the other one.

Do you actually run the drives in tandem ?

Does anyone have details of how you do this ?

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Guest jay_con

You can have the two drives running at the same time or have just 1 running. Whatever you choose really. Keeping a copy of xp on the second is a good idea too, that way if you crash you just boot off the second drive and your up and running immediately.

Just a matter really of connecting the second drive up as prescribed by the motherboared manual. If its IDE I think it connects to the ide 2 slot on the mother board. You will have lots of spare power supply leads inside the pc.

Anyway its possible and your motherboard booklet will tell you exactly how. Im pretty sure someone here will also be able to be more specific.

Also, if you buy a new hard drive it will tell you on the box how to connect it up. It really isnt difficult. Beware electricity though.

Having a back-up is what I do here.

Having said that, it was the virtually unused back-up that just died!!

All I did to set it up was move the jumper settings on the slave (VERY easy and shown on the drive) and then plug it onto the same cable as the existing drive.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

remember to format your 2nd drive the same as your main drive or it wont work if your transferinf docs etc. ..ie fat32 to nfts wont run properly..

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

you can get a 250 - 300gb external drive that slots straight into your USB socket for about £120, so i wouldnt bother with the hassle of an internal one

Thanks for all the help.

As I have USB ports to spare, the external drive will be the solution.

Its a good job you Chaps don't charge £1 per minute. :)

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

make sure your usb ports support usb 2 speeds, if it's a fairly modern pc, they more than likely will. if not data transfer will be quite slow