Removing Water Lily leaves

wotnobivvy

During the summer I remove the leaves to encourage new growth. Now they are slowly going brown. Should I remove all at one fell swoop, or leave them a bit longer

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

I'm taking a guess here but it would seem likely that as they die and dissolve, they provide food for a host of small critters that in turn provide food for larger critters. It that is really the case, leaving them would probably be best. If its not then it probably doesn't matter what you do with them.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

wotnob,

Saw this "BBC Gardening Guides pond care". Down toward the bottom is your answer.

Phone

This afternoon I updated Windows 8.1 to 8.1? and now I can't cut and paste. I'll post in the thread on thesubject.

I'm the same as you phone, using I e can't cut and paste, can't quote you for example when posting. yup, update's are not compatible on a n. As on the techie forum, try another browser or reset to an earlier time and get rid of the update for now.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

I'm not sure it is Win 8.1 causing your problems. More likely you are using IE-11 with the Win8.1 update and that is hosing things. IE-11 is not playing nice with quite a few sites including Ebay where there are loads of complaints on the boards. I think an updated (& buggy) version came as part of the 8.1 update. Try with Chrome or Firefox.

The below from Win8.1 - highlight > press CTRL-C (for copy) > move cursor to new location > press CTRL-V for paste

Phone

This afternoon I updated Windows 8.1 to 8.1? and now I can't cut and paste. I'll post in the thread on thesubject.

This one (below) using highlight > copy > move cursor > paste

I'm the same as you phone, using I e can't cut and paste, can't quote you for example when posting. yup, update's are not compatible on a n. As on the techie forum, try another browser or reset to an earlier time and get rid of the update for now.

I also cut the 2nd & third sentences at the beginning of this post & pasted them where they are now.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• 4 weeks later...

Do not remove the Lilly leaves in one go in Summer or Autumn.

The leaves help the pond regulate itself. The leaves block sunlight, which reduces Algae blooms, keeps the water cooler than if they were absent and provides food for invertebrates when they live, die or decay. The more growth there is the more nutrients are required which starves Algae of food.

If you want to remove them do it in winter using a garden rake, ensure that you cap the metal ends.

If you have a good sized swimming pool then you can empty some of the pond water into it water thus giving you easier access.

Don't worry about disturbing the silt as it does the pond good to have the bottom disturbed as it releases gases not necessarily wanted in the pond.

The lower water levels will also allow you to maintain the pond. It will also give you the opportunity of removing any diseased roots from the stock thus ensuring the continued health of the plant.

I use a Vac wet and dry hoover to remove excess silt, don't take it all.

If you have a lot of, as I do, you can cut in half any root tuber and sell them on Ebay.

Do not remove the Lilly leaves in one go in Summer or Autumn.

etc.

Thanks for that. I will remove the debris from the bottom later.

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not