2nd Time Fishing

StephenP

Hi guys. I posted about my first time last weekend. I decided to go and give it another go this week.

I went to the canal and decided to use bread this time instead of sweetcorn. I had bought a set of bread punches and some size 20 hooks. I was only going for a few hours so I only took half a slice of bread and some liquidised bread for ground bait. It took me about 30 minutes to get set up. I cast in with a small piece of bread punch on the hook. Seconds later a big fat greedy dog walks past and scoffs it down followed by the owner laughing and saying "haha your breads gone now". I didnt see the funny side for some reason. So i brought in my line and the bread was no longer on the end. So now I had to use the ground bait as main bait by forming a ball around the hook. It was also a very windy day so the float was all over the show and I couldnt tell if i was getting bites or if it was just the water washing over the float. After an hour I still handnt caught anything and as I took the hook out of the water a huge gust of wind blew the entire line around my head. So I decided to call it a day before I ended up with a hook in my face :)

Anyway hopefully I'll be able to go in the week some time so does anybody have any suggestions?

What is the best bait I could use on the canal besides maggots? Also is it poissible to set up the rod before I go somehow? I also have some ledger gear, would it be easier to use this instead of trying to watch a float? I'll probaby try and go to a lake next weekend so would a ledger setup be better there with some sweetcorn and size 14 hooks??

Hi Stephen, it sounds like your not doing to much wrong. Maggots/pinkies usually work well, bread in colder months, corn is good and pellets. Have a chat with your tackle dealer. You might think your questions are silly but belive me he will have heard them before and will again. He wants your buisness so helping you is one way of keeping you as a customer. DONT ever be affraid of asking questios no matter how silly you might think they are.

Just one big fish, PLEASE!!!!!!

Just a thought, have you considered a cheap pole or a whip rather than a rod and reel?

Just one big fish, PLEASE!!!!!!

Hi Stephen,

I'll echo what Paul said, and recommend maggots. There isn't a fish that swims that won't take a maggot. I don't know what I would have done without them when I started, and they still produce for me.

I've had a similar scenario, when I arrived on the canal to find I'd left ALL my bait sitting at home!

Easily solved though - I went for a walk, turned over a few stones and logs, and collected a small bag of worms and a few grubs which lasted for the session. I had nothing to dig with, but a bank stick came in useful! I also found that perch have a particular liking for ham and mustard, after using some of my lunch as bait!

Janet

Are maggots unavailable? You can't go wrong with maggots, great bait for a beginner.

I would take a few slices of bread next time dont give up on it too easily.

And how about worms?

Paul

Yeah I can get maggots and worms but I just dont like them and dont want to use them lol. Besides I feel guilty drowning them. What have they done to me? :) I have to travel to get them as well so its best if I can have a bait I can just keep overnight or for a few days and then use whenever. I wouldn't be allowed to bring maggots into this house :)

If you are fishing bread punch it's important to take a few slices. For one thing you will be rebaiting every cast and for another the weather will quickly knacker the slice you are using, either rain will get at it or the sun and wind will dry it out. (Or a dog will eat it!) So keep a few slices in a sealed plastic bag and only take a slice out when you need a new one.

I actually have 3 rods and I'm not entirely sure what I should be using them for. I have a pole rod which I know is mainly for canals. I also have a 13 foot rod and an 8 foot rod. My first time fishing I took the 13 foot rod but felt it was a bit big for the canal so i tok the 8 ft rod today. However I'm not really interested in canal fishing. I've only gone there to practise setting my gear up and getting the hang of casting and things like that. I hope to go fishing in ponds, lakes and reservoirs pretty soon. Thats the main reason I'm thinking of switching to ledgering. I was told the smaller rod is probably the best for ledgering but I've also read that the larger rod would be better so I'm not sure now. Would i be ok using an open ended feeder filled with groundbait with a size 14 hook and sweetcorn this time of year on a pond?

Thanks.

Guest Rabbit

Yeah I can get maggots and worms but I just dont like them and dont want to use them lol.

Bless :hypocrite:

Bread is fine and so is sweetcorn, you can colour your corn with veggie dyes, dark is good.

No need to cast far in the summer fish the margins really close in, no need to use such small hooks either, say 14 for corn and bread.

Keep at it and ask more folk and you will be fine ;)

Did you know that white bread sends dogs mad? Looks like you got the last laugh on that man with the dog that ate your bread. :D

Putting a few slices of bread in a blender or liquidiser will make you a great groundbait to use when fishing bread punch!

Squeze the liquidised bread into small balls and you should be able to throw it a short distance to biat around your float.

Mat

Mat