2nd Time Fishing

StephenP

well it sounds to me if your seeing the funny side of having a hook line wrapped round your face, on the side of the cannal, whilst a dog scoffs up your bait then you have nothing to worry about. firstly i am a beginner myself (ish), been fishin for two years on cannal and gravel pits so dont take everything i say as gospel however yeah maggots, what can i say. you cant go wrong. you will catch every type of fish on maggots on a cannal or gravel pit or stillwater. however i have found that really small fish love maggot (the big fish take them aswell) and as a result you will be pulling them out all day long (perch, roach, skimmer, gudgeon all from 1oz to 2lb). im talking if you bait up well one fish every 10 mins. firstly throw a handfull of maggots down as a base (dead maggots even better), then put two on your hook (if you can hide the hook by putting the hook long ways through the body and curling the first maggot round the hook even better, practice this its a winner). then simply cast in were you want and put a couple of maggots in every minit or a very small handfull every 10 mins. this should get the small fish going mental, and believe me in a few fishes you will be netting 10, 20 or even more of these little fish. i would stick to the rod as fishing can be boring (even though we dont want to admit it) from time to time, especialy as a beginer when the fish are few and far between, and as a result a quick cast or two in the right areas is a bit of fun and good practice and keeps ya goin. a pole you really have to just sit there. personally i dont know what the othersthink but i would stick to this simple method until you get to the point were your sick of pulling out and fancy some monster fish. the monsters in my opinion take forever and require loads of patience and as a beginer i would just stick to maggots and the fun stuff. one more peice of advise, the canals are mad, i love them, one minit calm, the next a lock has been opened and its going nuts and then a barge pops down and destroys your swim (as the captain wave's mind you n says "mornin") while yes, a dog eats your bait (classic, i think this has happened to many a fisherman). so much fun a canal and also fishermen are always walking up and down, and believe me they just cant help but give advise (which is a good thing i think). so you learn pretty quickily on a cannal. try getting as well 3 floats a small, medium and big (make sure these are interchangable - ask your tackle dealer) then if the canal starts to turn fast, whack a biggie on (for me this helps it hold in the water, and i dont believe you should anchor in bad conditions, as the fish seem to take it if it slightly moves). when it slow stick a smallie on etc. hopefully this isnt two complicated and if some experienced fishermen out there are reading this and thinking this is a load of s**t, then please correct this as i wouldnt want to be giving out bad info.

this however worked for me, and whenever i now have a bad time fishin (not caught in hours, no matter what i am fishing for) i simply set up another swim and do this, old habbits die hard but its so much fun. let us know how the third fish goes no matter what you try, and no matter what goes wrong.

My advice would be go fishing with an experienced angler. Most anglers would be happy to show you the ropes. Were do you live? Someone on here may even be happy to go with you.

Perhaps join a local angling club or just go to a venue were there are a lot of anglers and ask if you can quietly watch someone.

Buy a good angling magazine and read up tactics or buy one of the many books on how to fish and have a read.

If you are Warwickshire based I will be happy to take you fishing

Cheers and good luck

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

My advice would be go fishing with an experienced angler. Most anglers would be happy to show you the ropes. Were do you live? Someone on here may even be happy to go with you.

Perhaps join a local angling club or just go to a venue were there are a lot of anglers and ask if you can quietly watch someone.

Buy a good angling magazine and read up tactics or buy one of the many books on how to fish and have a read.

If you are Warwickshire based I will be happy to take you fishing

Cheers and good luck

Good advice from BR - a couple of hours with an experienced angler is worth its weight in gold. It can be hard to offer sepcific advice over the net because a good day's fishing depends on so many things, many of which you can't predict.

It depends on how old you are of course, if you're a minor don't go meeting oddballs (like Bluerinse :P ) off the net!

However, if you don't want to use maggots or worms, bread is what I would recommend. Squeeze a bit of flake (so the hook point is clear) onto a size 16 or 14 hook, tied to 2lb or 3lb hooklength, with a mainline slightly stronger. Pick a swim with some cover (a moored boat, overhanging tree, reedbed - anything that makes it more interesting for a fish than an empty stretch of canal) and feed small amounts of liquidised bread every 10 minutes. Keep it going in. Regular feeding really is key to fishing and is where a lot of people go wrong straight away.

Fish in the deeper water just off the marginal shelf next to the cover (boat, tree, whatever) with your bait just on the bottom (use a plummet to plumb the depth). Take plenty of bait just in case. Canals can be annoying because of the public, but they have as much right to be there as you, so you have to put up with them.

Have a bulk of splitshot at about 3/4 depth and a couple of small 'dropper' shot between those and the hook (the last one about 6" from the hook). This will keep the float stable and will show up any bites. I'd leave legering for now.

Finally, time of day can be extremely important. Fishing at dawn or dusk will instantly make it much more likely you catch something.

Good luck :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Woops, it never crossed my mind you might be a minor, If you are take your mom or dad with you if someone offers to give you some lessons.

"It depends on how old you are of course, if you're a minor don't go meeting oddballs (like Bluerinse :P ) off the net!"

Oddball? me? you might be right :) but perfectly safe.

Edited by bluerinse

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

Haha dont worry I'm 23 :) I live in skelmersdale so been fishing the leeds liverpool canal near burscough. Thanks for all the help. I think I'm going to go back tonight and give it another go. I'll try putting hte bread int he microwave for 30 seconds and wrapping it in cling film so it sticks on the hook a bit better and I'll try using flake as well. Hopefully I'll be going with some people more experienced than me soon so that should help me out. :)

It might sound strange but as a nipper I wouldn't touch maggots for some time.

I think it was because when I was about 4yrs old, I'd been 'helping' my Dad get ready for a trip, and been handling the maggots.

When my Mum was getting me ready for bed, she found a couple crawling up my back. She let out a scream and played hell with my dad, and I was banned from 'playing' with them. :D

This must have stuck with me, because I couldn't touch a maggot until I was about 10/11 yrs old, (and then I had to force myself).

I still caught fish, using worms (I was OK with them) and bread (as flake and paste). I have to admit though, that my catch rate went up after I started using maggot, especially on the canal.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John