Southampton area fishing?

Simon Everett

Hi all,

I must say it is good to have our own bit of peace of and quiet - thanks to Elton and Newt I supose - if not, whoever is responsible for that kind of thing.

What does anyone know of the fishing in and around Southampton at the moment? I'm bringing my Yak with me next weeek - got a few days in poole working, so will get some time on the water after and maybe even before each day starts.

Then n the Saturday of next week am in Southamptomn doing a piece on the Venturers Rescue Service ( if you don't know they are a schoolboy volunteer rescue service) so will have some time to fish in the Southampton area. BUT what is the fishing doing at the moment - close in. What is there about - any plaice? smoothounds perhaps? Any info greatly received as I shall only have a couple of hours to waste.

Cheers,

Simon

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Simon,

Haven't been out recently due to injury so couldn't tell you what the fishing is like, Salar is your man on the main forum.

If your interested I may be able to join you for a paddle on the Saturday, wife, kids and cat , weather and van allowing. :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Hello Mate

Gus here i live in Holbury just outside Southampton.Which Venturers rescue service are you going to as if it is the one in Hythe or Calshot there is a lot of good fishing around.

If you can confirm which one your going to i can give a more accurate idea of what you could catch.

In the area just know there are a few plaice,smoothound,flounder,pout,pollack and lots of bass.

Please reply as if i can get away from work it would be good to see what sort of set up you have and maybe i could pick up a couple of pointers.

Gus.

PS went up the river beaulieu yesterday and had 18 bass on lures.

Hi Gus,

I think they do launch from Calshot Spit, if not are they up the Itchen? They have a yellow RIB and run a rescue patrol/service in Southampton Water - a well run outfit which is why there is a good story on them.

It won't matter where they are anyway because once I'm done with them I can go off on my own before heading home that evening (250 miles).

Tell me where to head for and I'll go there with yellow log on roof! - Oh and what sort of gear to bring, bottom tackle or spinning gear?

If there are some bass about that would make a good and easy few hours - no bait needed! Rigs are simple too!

Cheers,

Simon.

PS is the river busy yet? Or is it OK in a kayak without fear of being run down!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Hey up mate yes the river can get busy but you have no fears of being run down 98% of people give you the respect and a wide berth so not to cause problems.

On the saturday in question high water is at 10.35am so depending on what time you will be going out will depend on the best approach.

Will watch the site to see if you get more details of timmings etc and will advise you accordingly.Or call me on 0777 it has a answer service on so if i dont answer leave a message i will get back as some of my work does not allow mobiles because of safety

[ 15. May 2005, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: gus ]

I will be tied up until mid afternoon I would think - but could possibly get an early morning in. I think I have got to bring a boat round from Portsmouth now, so Kayak will be in Pompey, not SOTON. Bugger! Will keep you posted - won't know for sure what is happening until Tuesday. Then I'm on the road south on Weds for a few days in Poole first - big job for Zodiac with all their new models (and Models!!)

Simon.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo