Sat nav uk and europe or smartphone with maps

Klaus

Hi all

Anyone use sat navs regularly ? thinking of getting a new one as have a very dated medion 2.5 inch . It has got me to UK places fairly well but switches itself off for no apparent reason lately with the power still connected. Am thinking of one with europe maps, or would a smartphone upgrade (samsung galaxy 4 or iphone ) have euro map applications. My current old samsung smartphone has nav app but not sure if suitable for europe . All suggestions greatfully appreciated

Thanks

Klaus

Ipad/ phone have apple maps and google maps, both free and both very good at what they do.

Not touched my tom tom for years! Don't need it when my phone does a far better job!!

Google will of course run on a samsung so that's a good option as well!

Our satnavs need replacing or new maps buying, so recently the mrs and I have been trying the nav options on our phones (iPhone 5S). We've tried the built in Apple maps app and the free Google maps app. They both worked well, both offer free crowdsourced traffic data. I believe, however, that both need an internet connection at all times, which is potentially a problem, so we are also considering buying the Tomtom app.

The only downside I've found with it is that it only gives you 1 potential route, which can sometimes be annoying. Even so I use it for 90% of my 'satnav' journeys, and if it picks a route I don't like the look of, I use google maps for the other 10%.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I get a route before leaving home, adjust it according to my wishes, print it off and give it to my navigator to read the pace notes. Having driven all over the UK for the last 50 years I know where I am heading and normally only need the final fine detail, so if I have no navigator I just stop and consult a real map. But then again I am an old fart and refuse to buy a smartphone or tablet. I like to exercise my brain before it stops working :hypocrite:

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

Got the tomtom app on my galaxy ace needs 2gb SD card, takes a few minutes to pick up satellites but once going its great. Steve did I hear you say buy ?

apple and google not that good imo. my mate used google maps sat nav thingy today and it kept trying to send us the long way plus it eats up his data.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk