jaredh95

Bestest advice I can give is to not jump straight into carping with a 2 rod bite alarm set up, but to use other methods to catch them first.

However....how do you want to fish for them? float fishing? feeder? match style or rods and buzzers?

There is a lot of great tackle available, but we need to know how you want to fish and what budget you have. :D

Phil

Bestest advice I can give is to not jump straight into carping with a 2 rod bite alarm set up, but to use other methods to catch them first.

However....how do you want to fish for them? float fishing? feeder? match style or rods and buzzers?

There is a lot of great tackle available, but we need to know how you want to fish and what budget you have. :D

Phil

And water type: Specimen/mixed/match/commercial/river/canal.

And an idea of species/stocking levels.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Welcome, I would suggest starting on a well stocked commercial type carp fishery. ( I am assuming you are in UK?) This will get you plenty of bites so you can practice your skills.

Be aware that carp fishing has become very fashionable and thus many items of bait and tackle are designer goods that you will be paying a premium for. On the opposite side of the coin really cheap tat is awful and a low quality bait will be really bad.

Might I suggest for rigs stick to a simple braid or nylon rig tied knotless knot style on a suitable hook pattern. The Pallatrax items are really good but there are many others such as Kamasan which are great value but still totally reliable. Try Youtube if you want to see how to set up or tie rigs but keep it real simple.

For bait any good quality boile but Pallatrax Jungle is a superb bait in my view and I use it a lot.

For the rest of your tackle I can recommend TF Gear its great value but good quality and Dave Lane uses it and Jim Shelley has just joined their crew so it has to be good.

Keep it simple and remember to catch carp, you have to be fishing where the carp are and don't scare them away which means no hammering in tent pegs or slamming car doors and no thrashing the lake to death with spombs, markers or 4 oz leads. All things I see happening every week sadly which ruins everyones chances of a nibble. Watch the water and learn to read it, the carp will tell you where to fish!

If you would like any information on tackle or tactics feel free to message or ask through here. Good luck.

Click here to Visit St Ives Tackle 

apple-touch-icon.webp